Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you stop comparing yourself??

jinnie871jinnie871 Free Trial Member
in General 189 karma

Feeling discouraged. I will put this in LSAT terms

Premise 1: according to stats (ie powerscore forum, Reddit, law forums etc) most diagnostic score are around 150

Premise 2: according to same sources, most people improve 10pts only

Premise 3: I did not score a 150. I did not do the logic game section (didn't know how to do it and gave up and just guessed on the 4 games).

Premise 4: if I had above average intelligence, I would have scored 150.

Conclusion: I am of below average intelligence and not capable of a high score.

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Well if you gave up and went wild guessing on 4 games then you can't beat yourself up about intelligence, at that point it's just unwillingness to try.

Not sure why you are beating yourself up over a diagnostic. A diagnostic is just a starting point.

• jinnie871jinnie871 Free Trial Member
    189 karma

Well if I was smart I would have figured out lg.

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

Most people do not make their way to 7sage. Buy a program here, you will master logic games if you stick with it, it sounds like you are just starting.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

If you're being this self-pitying after your diagnostic, then the LSAT and law school may not be for you. It's a difficult process that isn't going to be smooth all the way through.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Okay

You may start comparing yourself witj others only when you have studied for a year at least. Discussion of your diagnostic is pointless.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

I don't think there is really such a link between being "intelligent" and solving games your first time through. I'm not sure about that link, so in LSAT terms, I would challenge that premise. I don't think we could apply intelligence in this way because it would fail as a viable definition in other domains.

So for instance, I don't know the Portuguese word for "hello," does it follow that the absence of that knowledge implies I am not intelligent? I don't know how to access the Intake Manifold on a Volkswagen Beetle, does that mean that I am not intelligent? I think the most reasonable answer to these questions is no, intelligence or lack there of does not necessarily follow from the absence of that specific knowledge, much like a lack of intelligence probably does not follow from not knowing how to do games one of the first times through.

My recommendation (coming from someone who could barely answer a single question on LG my first time looking at them and eventually became quite proficient in them) is to much like learning a new language or automotive maintenance, start learning the games from the ground up. 7Sage is replete with information about how to do so including the CC.
    https://7sage.com/lesson/introduction-to-logic-games/

Best of luck and if you need anything further, the forums are an excellent resource for your questions.

David

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Hey, sorry that you're feeling discouraged. This process can be incredibly challenging and it can be really hard to not compare yourself to others. However, I think it is incredibly important to see that everyone goes on this journey at their own pace. Don't worry right now about where you started because once you start to understand the materials (through 7sage), it may get easier. Overall, good luck and remember to be kind and patient to yourself :)

• edited October 2019 118 karma

I know that the diagnostic can be discouraging, but please know that it does not define you in any way. Sure, people who score higher on the diagnostic don't have as much work to do, but it does not mean you both cannot end up in the same place. I've been studying for over a year, and I truly believe the LSAT is an exam that can be learned. I started off not knowing how to do games at all. I think I got like 6 right on my diagnostic or something like that. I got 100% for games on a PT last night. It just took a lot of time and a lot of practice. You will get there. You will just have to work hard and have confidence that you can reach your goals.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

I personally did not do a diagnostic. I wish I had gone in and taken one cold without knowing much about the LSAT. But I was one of those that researched the test before starting. I read the same crap about how you can only improve 10 points and that a few months of studying should be sufficient for most people. I didn’t study the right way and got too focused on score.

Thinking about it now I am 100 percent sure I would not have scored 150’on the diagnostic. I think I also got hung up on feeling stupid or not being able to finish a section.

• cfrugolcfrugol Member
    12 karma

It can be really difficult to fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others, especially those scoring high on 7sage. I took the September LSAT and I scored a little below average, and while I had a mental break down at first and contemplated whether or not law school was for me, I reminded myself how far I had come. Months ago I would look at a logic game and feel the way you did, but months later I handle them a little bit better and all because I taught it to myself. I didn't have 7sage when preparing for the September exam and was strictly teaching myself an entirely new way for my brain to operate. If you let this negativity get the best of you then you won't do well, but if you remind yourself how far you come you'll be just fine.

• Granger DangerGranger Danger Alum Member
    717 karma

I got a 141 diagnostic almost two years ago and have worked to a 160 in the last month. This is NOT an IQ test; the test can be learned!

• BrainiacMSBrainiacMS Alum Member
    98 karma

The thing that bothered me the most when I was just beginning was the idea of "You can increase only 10 points from your diagnostics. There are outliers, but they are rare." I call BS on this. First of all, I honestly believe that anyone who studies with 7sage is an outlier. Second, I know from experience now that you can improve WAY more than 10 points. I've only started taking prep tests for 2 months now and I have increased my score to about high 160s from 150. And I am CONFIDENT I can do better. Believe in yourself. Fuck the naysayers.

• Mario RoboMario Robo Alum Member
    266 karma

I know an LSAT instructor who gives his class a diagnostic because he knows most students want it, but he feels its a waste of time. It's sort of like going into a biology test cold. You know nothing and don't know how to answer the questions. Your mark only starts to matter once you have actually learned the material. I personally went up 14 points from my diagnostic and know if I retake it I probably could do better; however, I did well enough for where I want to go.
    There are so many people who go up if they are motivated and maybe just 7sage is an outlier. If you are smart enough to join 7sage, then I say that you have above average intelligence. So forget about all those who say you can't and prove them wrong.