Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR issues during PTs

Hi everyone! I am one month from test day and I'm struggling with LR on PTs. I am solid on all of the theory and CC. Every time I do an untimed section I get almost everything right (-1 to -2). However, during my PTs, every time I hit an LR section I start to miss questions. I usually finish the section on time, but I am still seeing -6 to -7 wrong on each LR section. Does anyone have advice?? I've been studying for a very long time and have seen almost all LR questions.

Comments

• Jay HawladerJay Hawlader Alum Member
    105 karma

In the same exact situation. Following.

• bananabobananabo Core Member
    1211 karma

How long are you taking to finish an untimed section? Since you’re getting pretty much everything right, it’s not a knowledge problem but instead, I think it’s either a timed pressure issue or a strategy issue. My advice is when you’re taking an untimed section, set a stopwatch and see how long it really takes for you to finish.

If you’re finishing an untimed section within 35 mins and you’re getting almost everything right, then the problem is most likely that you’re just psyching yourself out and you’re breezing over questions too quickly during PTs, when it’s unnecessary.

If you’re not finishing an untimed section within 35 mins, and let’s say instead it takes you 60 mins to finish and get almost everything right, then it probably means that you need to hone in on your test taking/timing skills. My advice for this type of issue is to learn when to skip questions and to find all the cookie cutter questions and the “low hanging fruit” questions and learn to do them quickly so that you have time to focus on the harder questions.

Hope this helps!!

• ksuper1991ksuper1991 Member
    80 karma

This was so helpful! Sorry for my delayed response. I'm going to incorporate this strategy and see how it works! thank you!!!!!

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Hey! How do you decide when to move to the next question after picking answers and when to cut bait and move on?

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    edited November 2019 1094 karma

Yes. Do the Translation drill until you can understand a stimulus well after only one read. This is what I did and I regularly finish LR sections in under 30 minutes with -1/-2 average. "The Loophole in Logical Reasoning" by Ellen Cassidy is the book I used that explains this method in detail and I went from -7/-8 having to rush the last few questions to where I am now.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@99thPercentileOrDieTryin said:
    Yes. Do the Translation drill until you are can understand a stimulus well after only one read. This is what I did and I regularly finish LR sections in under 30 minutes with -1/-2 average. "The Loophole in Logical Reasoning" by Ellen Cassidy is the book I used that explains this method in detail and I went from -7/-8 having to rush the last few questions to where I am now.

Good take

• ksuper1991ksuper1991 Member
    80 karma

I think I am being too much of a perfectionist and trying to answer even the most difficult questions - as in I need pick and answer and move on, focus on the low-hanging fruit. It's my mindset that I need to change!

99thPercentileOrDieTryin -- which Translation drill are you talking about? Are you talking about the valid arguments??

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

99thPercentileOrDieTryin -- which Translation drill are you talking about? Are you talking about the valid argumen

@ksuper1991 The translation drill is as follows:

Read an LR stimulus one time through and cover it with your hand. Then, in your own words, right down the stimulus in a way that is both accurate, simple, and easy for you to understand.
    For an argument, make sure to identify the conclusion and premises. You’re probably going to struggle through quite a few of these before you get good but do these until translation is second nature. This drill helped me get from where you now are to -1 average on LR. It also increases your speed. Good luck!