Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Necessary Assumption

hihitherhihither Alum Member

Hey guys,

I need a lot more practice on necessary assumption. I wen through all the video but still doesn't feel comfortable :/ where do you guys go to find more questions to practice?

Comments

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

I used to confuse NA and SA. Once I gained a clear understanding of what a NA was and which question stems identified them, it became easy to get the right answer. Simply put, a necessary assumption correct answer will be something that, if true, enables the conclusion to be true. This is different from a sufficient assumption question where the correct answer choice will be an additional premise that proves the conclusion.

Let's use the classic "Socrates is a man" argument to illustrate each type.

"Socrates is a man. All men are mortal. Therefore Socrates is mortal."

What would a sufficient assumption correct answer choice look like? "All men named Socrates must die." It's additional information that connects and confirms the stated premises to the conclusion which leaves no doubt that the conclusion must be true.

What would a necessary assumption correct answer choice look like? "Being a man does not necessitate immortality." That's it. No new premise is given. Simply a statement that enables the truth of the conclusion. I know these are very simple illustrations using a very basic argument but, even the most complicated stimuli do not diverge from the formula. Hope this helps.

• hihitherhihither Alum Member
    7 karma

Hey! Thanks for replying. I think I grasp SA a lot better because it is easier to bridge them or block them since they are usually strong worded. But for NA I always pick the answer that is the too strong or sometime makes it Sufficient Assumption instead.

Were you using PT as a way to understand how to differentiate these two different question types?