Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling really bad about my lower October score....

lawyer123lawyer123 Free Trial Member
in General 6 karma

So I took the test in June and got a 163, took it again in July and got the same exact score so I canceled and signed up for October. I just got back my October score, and I got a 160... I'm feeling really anxious because it seems that it will look really bad to law schools that I did worse on a recent exam. I don't plan on applying for a few years, but I'm dreading the thought of having to take this exam again. I'm also stressing because I've taken courses and read a ton of prep material, and also took pretty much every PT. I'm at a point where I don't know what I should do.
Has anyone been in this same situation? Any advice?
I'd appreciate any input at this point.

Comments

• lawyer123lawyer123 Free Trial Member
    6 karma

Additional context: After July, I was PTing high 160s-low 170s, so this was an even bigger disappointment

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Hm... Everything under the same conditions? Low 170s to low 160s (163) is quite a stark jump... Also were the PTS where you scored high 160s low 170s recent?

• FCCLSATFCCLSAT Member
    45 karma

I was in the hospital the day before the LSAT and I got a nose bleed during the test, I scored in the 140s a 17-20 difference from my PTs. Yes, you are not alone. I too feel pretty miserable.

• FCCLSATFCCLSAT Member
    45 karma

And I too canceled my score in July which my MUCH higher than what I go this time in Oct. Lesson learned

• alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member
    212 karma

I got a message from a friend that was scoring in the high 170s. . . and this is what it said: My proctor fainted during the first section, hit the wall, laid on the floor trying to get back together. The other proctor decided to start the test. Few minutes into section 1, the first proctor starts throwing up while loudly expressing pain. He stops throwing up, talks to the other proctor at a normal volume for a whole minute. My language comprehension shattered to pieces. Walked out after section 2.... moral of the story, sometimes shit is against you. He went back the next test and got a 174 :) don't get discouraged

• lawyer123lawyer123 Free Trial Member
    6 karma

@lexxx745 yes, they were recent, PTs 61 and above. I get anxious under test conditions and had a family event occur right before the test, so I think that may have affected my performance but I'm unsure.
    @FCCLSAT that sounds horrible, I'm sorry to hear! What are you planning on doing now?
    @alumivacui wow that's wild, I don't know how the LSAC didn't do anything to remedy those who took that test, but good thing he eventually succeeded! I am only concerned how it will look considering I have a higher score on my record, but that my more recent score is lower. Obviously I'm going to retake, I am just going to take time to reevaluate my strategies and probably retake in April next year or later.

• FCCLSATFCCLSAT Member
    45 karma

@lawyer123 I'm retaking it this November and January.

• TorontoVSallTorontoVSall Alum Member
    edited November 2019 104 karma

@alumivacui said:
    I got a message from a friend that was scoring in the high 170s. . . and this is what it said: My proctor fainted during the first section, hit the wall, laid on the floor trying to get back together. The other proctor decided to start the test. Few minutes into section 1, the first proctor starts throwing up while loudly expressing pain. He stops throwing up, talks to the other proctor at a normal volume for a whole minute. My language comprehension shattered to pieces. Walked out after section 2.... moral of the story, sometimes shit is against you. He went back the next test and got a 174 :) don't get discouraged

"Please ignore the person potentially having a fatal seizure on the ground next to you, the test must go on!" Seriously wtf were they thinking JFC!

• joshowens16joshowens16 Alum Member
    73 karma

Hmmmm are you doing your PT's under timed conditions? If so, do you get test anxiety? If you do get test anxiety, if you retake it again focus on your mental stability in terms of the test. Really you have nothing to lose, a 163 is a great score, 80th+ percentile. you can get into some great schools with that score. Just go into your next test knowing you have a great fall back score. Relaxing and taking the test feeling how you feel when you take self administered PT's will get you there

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

@lawyer123 a 160 is within the margin of error of a 163, so I doubt it would be very troublesome to law schools, especially if you wrote an addendum. Perhaps take a few weeks off from the test and re-evaluate then?

• Harvey DentHarvey Dent Alum Member
    81 karma

@alumivacui ok NGL I laughed out loud reading this.

• macarenaferrmacarenaferr Alum Member
    16 karma

The same exact thing happened to me. Scored 3 points lower on the October exam than the July exam.Granted my exam started over three hours late and our last section, which was Reading Comp, didn't end up happening until almost 6pm, so the odds were really against me. I wish I would have canceled the score, but ended up filing a complaint with the LSAC.

Since the score went out, I emailed all the schools letting them know of the situation and hopefully it doesn't hinder my applications at all.

BUT YOUR SCORE IS STILL GREAT! If you feel like you need to explain to the schools why you may have done worse, you should.