Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Abroad Grades and GPA

ksuper1991ksuper1991 Member
edited November 2019 in Law School Admissions 80 karma

Hey all! I'm thinking about my chances at a T20 and reflecting on my undergraduate transcript. I graduated cum laude with a 3.6 from a top tier liberal arts college. I graduated early and also studied abroad for a full year. My study abroad grades are not factored into my undergraduate GPA and LSAC also does not factor them in. If they had been factored in, I would have received a 3.8 GPA.

How are top law schools going to look at this? Are they really going to see me as a 3.6 or will they consider that full year of study abroad? My study abroad accounts for about 1/3 of my undergraduate coursework so I'm not sure how schools look at this. Is this something I should address in an addendum?

Re my LSAT score, I'm really more towards the low 25% for these schools, so I would be a splitter.

Comments

• nat2tulanat2tula Alum Member
    75 karma

In terms of evaluating your app from a numbers point of view, I think they'll use your CAS GPA. However, if you can write about your study abroad experience, show how you did well, and maybe tie that in with why you'll make a good law student/a specific area of law you want to study, that wouldn't hurt your app!