Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOS TIME CONSTRAINT PROBLEM

1234abcd-11234abcd-1 Member
edited December 2019 in General 422 karma

Hello all,

SO I am planning on taking the January 2020 LSAT. I have been studying since August and it has been such a wild ride of studying. IN November, I started doing untimed practice tests, and my scores were averaging 165+. I wanted to get a feel for the questions, games, etc. HOWEVER, a month out from the Jan LSAT, I started taking timed PTs, aka today, and my score lowered to a 149. I have never been good with standardized testing, but I do know each question type etc. What I am freaking out over is, will a month be enough time to get situated with timed PT's? I understand the material and I am not sure what to do about my current problem. I am also freaking out ahhaha. Also, I am BRing and everything. I feel like if I do not close the gap a week out before the Jan LSAT, I might postpone.

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE PLZ PLZ COMMENT.

EDIT:

I also want to add that I took another PT and scored a 151. Also, LG games I have down, but the speed is what is killing me :)

SHOULD I TAKE IN JANUARY OR POSTPONE
  1. Should I postpone?11 votes
    1. Yes
      72.73%
    2. No
      27.27%

Comments

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

How much time do you have to study? How many PTs can you take a week? One month doesn't mean anything without knowing how many hours you have per week to practice.

But it sounds like taking as many PTs would be the best use of your time until then so that you get faster at taking the test, and see if you can close the time gap. If your reasoning is solid and you're just not quick enough, then you're not in bad shape: you'll naturally get faster with more practice.

Also you might find this fairly recent thread of use to you:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/146943

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Just postpone. Better to take the test when you aren't in frantic mode

• joshowens16joshowens16 Alum Member
    73 karma

This is why JY tells us to only do timed sections and timed PT's. If the LSAT was untimed and we could have an hour per section EVERYONE would do better. Don't freak out though. You have the ability to score that well in timed PT's but you need to practice. I would advice to take a few more months or take the jan test knowing that you will retake.

• Postpone. The gap is large and the bet is risky if you need to be mid 160's on this take. It is likely you will need to retake the test to hit your target. BUT - schools usually take the higher score and taking the test will be a firm benchmark of where you are at. If you do not hit the target you can take it again if that does not present a major issue with you.

On the up side, study like hell (4-6 hrs/day) and you may hit it. Be certain to look at problem process issues to cut time off.

• JerryJerry Member
    176 karma

I think you should postpone. If you added a poll, I think most others would agree... There's not much time for you to get acclimated to timing, in my opinion, if the difference is so stark.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

There are other dates in February, March, and April, and also I think in summer and fall. As you think about this, maybe take into account the limits on how many tests we can take.

• 1234abcd-11234abcd-1 Member
    422 karma

@Jerry said:
    I think you should postpone. If you added a poll, I think most others would agree... There's not much time for you to get acclimated to timing, in my opinion, if the difference is so stark.

I think so too:(

• SharpieHighlighterSharpieHighlighter Alum Member
    edited December 2019 132 karma

As you probably figured out, timing yourself is hugely important for studying. Now that you are doing PT timed, you will still have the opportunity to take a deeper dive and scrutinize questions during BR, without a timer. Getting 165+ untimed is a good start, but I'm not sure I would say that demonstrates a firm understanding. It may also indicate over confidence. Ideally, without a timer you should get close to 180 if you have an ironclad understanding of the question types and know how to avoid trap answers - and there's nothing stopping you from getting there with the right strategy to study. All that said, I'd keep on trucking and not set yourself up for disappointment in January.