Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

149 LSAT Score (6 Months Studying)

Anthony92Anthony92 Alum Member
edited December 2019 in General 54 karma

Hey all;

Yes, you've read it correctly. After six months of studying, using the LSAT Trainer, PowerScore Bibles, and 7Sage, unfortunately, some of the items I just haven't been able to grasp. Februrary is my last chance to take the LSAT. I did fairly well on the LG Section (17/23) but my LG and RC were awful (-11/-17) respectively.

I figured, since this is my last shot, I'd try something different. On the day of my test, I did not get much sleep that night due to a nasty cold and cough. That contributed to a lack of sleep, which increased my nerves, not to forgo the long drive to the testing center, I figured that had something to do with my poor performance. No excuses though, I've previously prepped at a 157, high of a 162.

7Sagers' I work full time as a Paralegal, and have 8 short weeks to improve to (hopefully) the 160's. Does anyone have any advice on how I could take this. A friend of mine recommended I drill questions, so I upgraded my 7Sage to Ultimate, and plan on drilling questions. Reading Comprehension, in the digital format, do you have any suggestions on how to improve that score, I have a lot of improvement that is needed in that area. Normally I would get -5 or -6 in LR, and I've had untimed test that I've done really well at, minus the RC.

I will take any advice or motivation at this point. My girlfriend doesn't seem to understand the magnitude of how unfortunate this is and the predicment this is having on my mental health. I am a Finance Major, but the LSAT is killing me. Would you recommend taking a practice test (Preptest 80-88) in the weeks leading up to the LSAT and drilling questions by question type in my mean time?

Comments

• JerryJerry Member
    176 karma

Have you finished reading all those books, or are you still working on them? When I first started, I focused just on the basics and would spend every day just reading from the texts. It took me around 2 to 3 weeks to finish one book. But pretty much, by the time I had finished Kaplan, LSAT Trainer, and the PowerScore Trilogy, I had naturally increased my score from the 150s to the 160s. If it's taken you 6 months to read 4 texts, maybe your schedule needs to be tightened.

Also, I would focus on just one of the books at a time, so that you can really understand how the logic works from one perspective to the next. Really try to adopt the methods used in one book, and then once you go onto a new one, try to adopt that book's methodology. Then you can cherry pick the strategies that make the most sense for you.

You can also try Khan Academy for some drills. They repeat a lot, but that can be helpful for retaining skills.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I'm going to just add that if you have other obligations, and FT work is an example, then generally, 6 months is not that much time. As you're on here, you'll see it takes many people much more time than this to gain mastery. This is a tough test, but it is learnable. Have you finished the Core Curriculum on here? The problem sets are great lessons. And the discussion forums have a #help option that give mentors and other community members chances to discuss questions. Maybe also try the 7Sage podcast and/or the webinars, like the AMAs.

• ThrivingMagpieThrivingMagpie Alum Member
    17 karma

Doing well untimed is a good place to start. Train your intuitions and internalize the lsat reasonings, so you can do well on timed condition too.

• 604wannabealawyer604wannabealawyer Alum Member
    94 karma

Honestly speaking, I would try doing meditation to help increase self-focus. You probably know more than you think. I was in the exact same situation. Wrote the LSAT 5 times and finally got a decent 150's score that I'm pleased with. This too after 3 years! So here are my suggestions:

• I would do one prep test per week and then drill the games (even doing one at a time) to really know what's going on.
    • I would get some days off or call in sick if you got to the two-three weeks prior to the LSAT. I did this and I jumped by so much.
    • For RC I would remember to skip the most difficult passage and go back to it. I could have gotten even more points had I done this on the LSAT.
    • For LG the LSAT knows 7sage is a resource, so admittedly, they might create one game that challenges what we've learned here. nevertheless, I would still place most emphasis here.

Good luck and all the best! This is a tough test but you are even tougher regardless the outcome.

• chicago234chicago234 Alum Member
    163 karma

a post test + post-BR journal has helped me a lot. write down why you missed each question you missed, why you failed to flag a question you ended up getting wrong, etc. is timing an issue?
    I'd start by doing untimed PTs, flagging any question you're not sure of and really focusing on understanding. do the PT untimed. after you finish BR (for BR, instead of finding the right answer, practice disproving the 4 wrong answers. any LR question that you miss find out why you missed, watch the explanation video if you still don't understand, and then write a stimulus that has the same reasoning as the stimulus of the question you missed. diagram the different parts of the LR stimulus in the original and your stimulus of parallel reasoning. LG advice depends on how you're missing the questions.