Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Splitting Gameboards

zsuzsikazsuzsika Alum Member
in General 7 karma
I often have a difficult time determining when I should split gameboards. Are there any indicators you guys rely on? Sometimes JY does it and other times he doesn't, but I can't figure out when it should be done.

Comments

• kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    275 karma
    @zsuzsika I don't know how far along you are in your studying, but if you haven't been studying too long, you should ALWAYS split the gameboards. If you're following 7Sage's Foolproof method for mastering logic games, you should always be doing this because it helps you to see every inference. Only on timed practice tests should you be considering whether or not to split. I think JY sometimes doesn't split the gameboards because it's not necessary to do so in every case; this ability to discern when to split and when not to split comes will definitely become more intuitive with lots of practice.
  • MisterMagicMisterMagic Alum Member
    89 karma
    ALWAYS is a really strong word. If you haven't purchased the LG Bundle from 7Sage, you really need to while it's still up. Do all the games, all different types. For me, this is better than reviewing the same game a dozen times. On test day, you'll see a game you've never seen before. It's important not to freeze.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    You'll start to intuitively recognize patterns. Obviously, that doesn't provide much of a concrete answer, but the more you study, the more you'll automatically decide to do so or to not. But as far as more tangible advice, definitely split game boards when you recognize 2-4 different possibilities and no more. Those are generally the no-brainers. If you have two or more "if X, then Y" statements under the rules, things typically start to get too complicated.

One downside to splitting, however, is that unless you have every possibility exhausted, splitting game boards can fog up your clarity with questions that may not have otherwise been an issue. I cannot think of a specific example, but questions regarding sufficiency/necessity can mess you up when you're staring at several game boards that offer a near-complete but not entirely complete representation of where everything can end up. In other words, unless you catch every possibility, you may think that a certain variable (for example, "C") must be in a certain spot or follow a certain other variable. Only with a complete split would you recognize that there might be an instance where it isn't applicable. Does that make sense? This has happened to me before, unfortunately.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I agree with the comments above. While you are studying/drilling you should try to split each game board. With time you will notice how you will randomly know exactly what to do with each game. Just continue working through LGs and watching JYs videos. You'll get it soon!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 3438 karma
    Yeah splitting gameboards becomes intuitive at a point in time but in the beginning always split... its good practice too and helps you keep track of things... however my rule of thumb was that if there were more than 4 gameboards, I would not split or do a semi-split where I'd manipulate the flexible pieces but keep the set ones in their spaces...
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    A great indicator for when to split are the number game pieces in the game. A lot of times, when there are only 4 or 5 game pieces, this is a good indicator that you can probably split. Also recognize rules that are restrictive. Often games have 1 rule that is particularly restrictive and much of the game will revolve around your understanding of that rule. Often, you can split game boards that map out the few possibilities for where this restrictive rule can fit into the game. I also find that double layer sequencing games are often conducive to splitting.