Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR from only employers?

kzw402kzw402 Alum Member
in General 27 karma

Hi, I was wondering if itll be ok to have LOR from mostly employers. I have been a paralegal for around 10 years, worked at 2 different firms. There is a Judge who I know thought my job, who is also interested in writing one for me. I dont know if not having one from a professor would look bad?

Comments

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

How long have you been out of school? I normally hear people say if you are 3+ years out of school then a LOR from an employer works.

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

The advice that I have received is to try your best to get a LOR from a faculty member. But I've also heard that an employer LOR can work, although not as often as from a faculty member. In your case, I would reach out to the admissions office to see what most successful applicants have done regarding recommendation letters.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I’m 39 and had no LORs from profs. I had two higher ranking colleagues and a client. I was accepted to 4 schools (GW, ASU, Seton Hall, Rutgers). If you’re out of school a while, you do not LOR from profs.

• kzw402kzw402 Alum Member
    27 karma

Hello yall thank you for your responses, I have been a non-traditional student, I was out of school for a while then I mainly focused on getting my degree while also working full-time. I mainly took online courses as many as I could, and the classes that I did attend in person I was in and out back to work. I dont feel like I was able to create any sort of relationship with a professor to the point that the knew me. I graduated just last year, am I screwed if I dont have an academic LOR?

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2020 3190 karma

i think LOR with profs is the way to go...