Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on Studying for full time worker

jaygaleonejaygaleone Live Member
in General 82 karma

Hey guys,

Some advice would be appreciated on how to approach studying for this test. I would like to take the July LSAT 2020 although I work a very hectic schedule due to a pretty demanding job in big law. Any advice as to what works and/or worked for you is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

If your set on not quitting your job/reducing hours, there are plenty of forums on how to study. I would recommend studying first thing in the morning, if that means waking up earlier. If you cant do that, should be fine. Try to get as much studying in during lunch/breaks. Or after work, maybe 2 hours a day?

• chisal17chisal17 Alum Member
    289 karma

As someone who has this same problem here is what I have done: prioritize your sleeping, learn to meditate between intense activities (I enjoy the headspace app), eat right (helps with energy levels and focus), stay hydrated and manage your mental health properly. You're going to be stressed out and strung out and if you plan to keep going you need to invest in some self care.

Otherwise --

I try to get up at 5am, shower, make coffee, sit down to study for 3 hours before work. If I have anything timed that I want to work on I only do it in the mornings.
    Then, I make a list of things I want to review during my lunch break and for after work. I write all of my explanations down in a journal I carry around with me. Sometimes, I'll sit alone in my room or in an empty conference room and go through my explanations for each question out loud. Afterwards, follow the videos, read some explanations, and modify your reasoning as needed.
    I have started buying my meals rather than cooking and cleaning. It saves me around 2 hours a day + lots of energy because I don't have to invest in the labor involved in the process.

I follow this study schedule 3 days during week days. And if I do a full timed PT, I stick to the weekends. On weekends I try to make sure to sleep in, then I give myself 6 hours to do a list of things I assign myself for that day. After that, I tell myself I have to be finished no matter what point I am in my studies. I'll go home, run errands, do laundry, etc.

I usually go out with friends two times a week and give myself two nights a week where I can just binge watch trash tv for balance/to decompress.

Hope this helps.

• AutumnMoon88AutumnMoon88 Alum Member
    65 karma

I echo what the others have said. I found I was struggling with feeling like I wasn't completing material quickly enough. I've learned that rather than trying to fit in big chunks of study time, I do what I can when I can during the workweek. If that means only doing a few questions (or just one!) during my breaks at work, so be it. I will still be making more progress than waiting until I can study for a couple of hours continuously. I do as much as I can in the evenings but not everyday -- if my brain is fried from work then I will take the night off so I can feel fresh and ready to keep going the next day. Then on weekends I can spend more time reviewing, but making sure to have a life also! Working a demanding full-time job and trying to study for this test is no joke, but we will succeed!