Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help moving forward

dayswill237dayswill237 Free Trial Member

In a tale as old as time, I came into LSAT prep with the notion that this test would be something I could (relatively) painlessly learn and conquer. I studied haphazardly and obviously failed to get anywhere close to my target score. I decided to throw myself wholly into prep and immerse myself in the LSAT world. I am a working professional and people couldn't fail to notice I wasn't visiting happy hours as often. I felt good and slowly told people I was going to be attending law school in the fall of 2019. I work with incredibly smart folks who were blessed with the ability to take the LSAT once and score well enough to get into a top 10 school. They kindly believed that I would have no issues scoring well and thus reach my goal of attending a top 10 school.

Unfortunately, I did not hit my goal and had to retract my previously stated plan. It was incredibly humbling to admit I had not gotten the score I wanted. Luckily, my boss was happy to have me stay another year. I reemerged myself in the LSAT world, doubling down on my prep and taking a few days of PTO here and there to study. Fall of 2020 was the new plan.

Alas, I am here. I took the test and didn't make the progress I needed to get into top 15 schools. I hoped my softs would carry me a bit, but I have been rejected by every school so far. I am truly at a loss for what to do. I feel like my vision for the future has been ripped from me and I have boxed myself in completely. My partner has been patient with me during my prep and I cannot bear the thought of telling them that this year isn't going to work. I was so confident and would be absolutely crushed to tell my boss that once again, I will not be leaving in the fall to attend law school. Do I apply to lesser ranked schools and try to transfer? I don't think I can give up on law completely - it's been my goal for so long. A part of me wants to use this social distancing time to secretly prep and take the test again without telling anyone. But that still leaves me having to tell everyone it's one more year.

I'd love some advice! I really am at such a loss with how to move forward. I am happy to provide more details if needed.

Also - if you've stayed with me this long, I'd like to offer some advice: absolutely do not register for the test until you are consistently scoring at your targeted range. I had a false sense of bravado that I would magically score points better on the "real thing."

Thank you so much!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

There's plenty of excellent law schools that aren't in the T15. How many schools did you apply to? There's still some schools accepting applications. And yes, if someone is doing well, then they're likely eligible to transfer.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    edited March 2020 990 karma

Is it about bragging rights or is it about following through with your dream? Do what you need to do to get into a law school of your choice or just a good law school. I am in the same situation as you where most thought I would be attending fall 2020, but guess wha? I didn’t do good on the feb 2020 LSAT and will now spend good seven months prior to retaking it. I so wanted to attend fall 2020 you have no idea. I freaking cried when scores were released. LOL. It was serious.

But now, I want to do what I am comfortable with. We cant go around placating others because then we are taking a back seat. I wish you the best of luck! I hope you succeed.

• Futurelawstudent-1Futurelawstudent-1 Alum Member
    31 karma

Kind of in a similar boat. I have a score to get in, but want better for a bigger scholarship. So here I am studying some more (but I am grateful to have something to do that fills in a large time slot in my day because without it I would be climbing the walls).

I have heard someone say (and I don't remember who said it but) "No one asks what LSAT score you got, or even passes judgement on you on which law school you went to, they are just amazed that you went and became an attorney." I guess it's what you make of your law education journey that truly counts. So study some more to hit that score, apply to the schools that you think are a good fit
    (for being in the top ten or lower tiered schools because of the programs they offer) and enjoy the journey of becoming a great attorney. This is your goal/dream, and you have come this far already. Good luck and good studying!

• GoVaCaMaDaAqNeGoVaCaMaDaAqNe Alum Member
    118 karma

It’s hard to accept that you’re not as “naturally smart” as others and that you have to study or work 4 times as much or twice as long to get the same score to get into elite schools. Thats what it seems its going to take for someone like you, who I am sure has other gifts, but killing standardized tests is not one of them....at this point.
    On the other hand, my cousin is graduating from a lower ranked law school this year but he is one of their top students—there’s a lot to be said about being a “big fish in a small pond,” and he has many great career opportunities against those who are from the top tier schools but who are lower performers within their school. The “others” from work and your social circles, if they give you a hard time about it, are not worth your time or energy.
    Do your very best with what gifts and opportunities you’ve been given and good things will follow.
    All the best.

• dayswill237dayswill237 Free Trial Member
    10 karma

I was feeling under the weather for a bit so couldn't respond, but am feeling much better now.

Thank you all for your comments and incredibly kind words. Honestly, you have given me so much comfort and hope in what felt like a very dark time.

I feel lucky to be a part of such a wonderful community. Best of luck to all of you, too.

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

I recommend, if you have not already, read the book "Mindset" by Carol Dweck. It's the book that got me thinking I could actually grow "smarter" and become an attorney. Before that I had people in my life telling me I couldn't do it, or, I didn't have the mental sharpness.

Guess what? It took me a year of continuous study, but I scored over the 90th percentile and got into some really good law schools with some really great scholarships. Of course, T14 was never my concern but, if it were, I promise I'd still be in the books every day.

When it comes to this test, let no one else determine your goals except you. Is a T30 good enough for you or do you have to go to a T14? If so, then there is no time-limit to your studying - you keep practicing until you score in your target zone before taking the real test again.