Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost. Where do I begin?

WhimsicalWillowWhimsicalWillow Live Member
edited March 2020 in General 79 karma

I am self-studying as much as possible and plan to use a tutor later on. I'm about to get the ultimate course from 7sage but am feeling overwhelmed because I'm not sure how to coordinate my self-studying. Where do people buy drill materials from and how do they use them? What PTs do people use to drill and to use as a PT? I need help figuring out the best study strategy.

Where do I begin? In what order should I be working through all of these? Thank you!

Materials:
Getting 7sage's ultimate course
3 Manhattan Guides I have been working through Manhattan Prep's LR guide because LR is the section I struggle with the most.
LSAT Trainer

Comments

• 256 karma

you're about to get a whole lot of advice probably a lot better than mine but here's how I started. I was just as lost or even more lost than you.

I started with the 7Sage Starter and as you move further along you can keep upgrading.

You can keep upgrading as you move along and as you move along you'll begin to discover your strengths and weaknesses (and then compliment it with outside materials or even some tutoring)

So in conclusion, start by getting your toes wet before diving in. Don't buy every book out there yet

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

If I had it all to do over again, I would have bought only 4 resources.
    1. 7Sage Ultimate+ (Best RC method, every Prep Test)
    2. The Loophole by Ellen Cassidy (best LR book in the world)
    3. The Manhattan prep LG book (great strategies for LG)
    4. The LSAT Trainer (a solid all-in-one)

These are the resources that really made a difference in my score. Unfortunately, I wasted hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in other materials that just weren’t as useful. I would start with 7Sage CC, then work through the Trainer, and complete Manhattan LG/the Loophole concurrently.

When it comes to studying, be consistent and purposeful. Use all the time you can. I used to wake up at 4 AM every morning to study LSAT for 2 hours before work. I would study for an hour over lunch. Then, I set aside 2 additional hours to study after work every day. People told me I would burn out but I was totally committed so, in over a year of constant study I never lost steam. YMMV. The bottom line is this: have a mindset of "whatever it takes."

Anywho, feel free to ask if you want anything more specific.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    990 karma

My top contenders are:

7Sage
    Loophole
    LSAT hacks

I would tackle one thing at a time. I did 7 sage first and now adding the last two. Oh yeah, I also got a tutor for LG.

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

I would definitely start out with 7sage and go through the common curriculum. Start from there. A lot of the practice/drilling/PT-ing is built into the curriculum, so all of that will become clearer once you dive into the curriculum. I wouldn't worry about other resources until you've gone through the curriculum and yourself feel that you need some extra support. I just bought the Loophole book and am excited to try it because I've heard great things about it! But plenty of 7sagers don't need it/didn't use it to improve, so I echo the advice of the people above in that you should maybe hold off on bombarding yourself with a ton of resources and just start with 7sage. I haven't heard of a SINGLE person who did 7sage and regretted it. It's just the best thing out there. Once you get into 7sage and have advanced, THEN you can start thinking about tutors/extra resources, but at that point, things will be much clearer to you, I promise. Just be grateful that you STARTED at the right place (7sage) because tons of us wasted time and money on other resources before discovering 7sage. Also, once you're ready for a tutor, definitely look at 7sage's list of approved tutors because the tutors on there are bomb!!!

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

Oh and one more thing - worrying about "studying right" on the LSAT is a major issue. Most people worry, and with reason. Studying correctly for this exam is absolutely the key to doing well on it. But I've been doing this for a while, and at this point, I'm 100% convinced that 7sage and the tutors on here and the students/discussion forums have all got it right. So do your best to try and let go of that worry/lost feeling because it can definitely stand in your way. If you're not confident in your studying/study habits/study method, there's no way you can be confident on practice/execution. And obviously, that confidence will build over time, so keep that in mind too.