Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I improve on Sufficient Assumption and Must Be True questions?

Mihael K.Mihael K. Alum Member

By far the hardest question type for me in LR is SA and MBT questions. I have learned the whole formula/diagramming/translation stuff that is taught in the Core Curriculum and I understand it quite well. However, I try to do it in my head (as one is supposed to do) then apply it as I'm doing each question to get the right answer. But I always get them wrong. These two questions types have me stressed out because I can't improve no matter what I do.

I should note I mainly have trouble with the moderate difficulty and harder questions (levels 3-5 on the difficulty scale). The easier ones I can do.

How do I improve at these question types? What advice or help can you give me? Perhaps other techniques additional to this?

Comments

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

Have you tried diagramming the questions out? Are you able to get them right if you diagram them?

• Mihael K.Mihael K. Alum Member
    76 karma

@taschasp said:
    Have you tried diagramming the questions out? Are you able to get them right if you diagram them?

Most of the time when I do it untimed and I actually draw them out on paper, most of time I do get the answer right. Not all the time though. But doing that certainly helps.

Problem is on the actual LSAT I can't write down anything.

796 karma

@"Mihael K." said:

What do you mean? Why not? Writing a few things down on a difficult SA or MBT question isn't a bad idea.

76 karma

@taschasp said:

@"Mihael K." said:

What do you mean? Why not? Writing a few things down on a difficult SA or MBT question isn't a bad idea.

Wait, you're allowed to have paper for the LR section of the LSAT? You're allowed to write things down?

796 karma

Yes! You are given scrap paper that you can use for the entire test.

76 karma

@taschasp said:
    Yes! You are given scrap paper that you can use for the entire test.

HOLY SHIT. That's a game changer for me. I'll literally be getting the vast majority of SA and MBT questions right now.

edited April 2020 796 karma

Yay! I guess this is what the forum is for :smiley: