Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturday, April 11, 7:30pm EST – LR Skipping Webinar

2»

Comments

• WhimsicalWillowWhimsicalWillow Live Member
    79 karma

@Mike_Ross has the link been posted somewhere? I'm anxiously awaiting.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

@Mike_Ross , I really appreciate your help and detailed feedback! I do think taking more control will continue to help me with confidence and establishing that I will be skipping a certian amount of questions up front can really help me do that. I will work on implementing this with timed LR sections.

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

@FindingSage said:
    @Mike_Ross , I really appreciate your help and detailed feedback! I do think taking more control will continue to help me with confidence and establishing that I will be skipping a certian amount of questions up front can really help me do that. I will work on implementing this with timed LR sections.

Very cool!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Hey everyone, I’ve been without internet for most of the past week, but glad so many of you were able to benefit, and happy to do a follow up session for those unable to attend and for those wanting to go in greater depth.

To add to @Mike_Ross ’s answers to questions:

@FindingSage said:
    I was wondering where you came up with a specified number of questions to miss on round one? Was that induvidual? Based on score? And by skipping did you mean just skip totally or try to elminate a couple of answers and then skip?

The number of questions to skip is individual and flexible. Personally, I really only considered this number in hindsight as a metric for analysis. I found that when I was too conscious of it during the take, I would “ration” my skips based on questions that had come before rather than simply on the way the question in front of me was developing. On great takes, I’d skip maybe 2 or 3. On my worst, I skipped upwards of 12. That section occurred under very specific and extenuating circumstances, lol. Ultimately what is important is that the outcome was -1 which put me comfortably in my normal range on even a terrible section.

I go back and forth on whether or not I even like the term “skipping.” I never “skip totally.” Until I’ve attempted the question, I just can’t know whether I need to “skip” it. Rather, I think about it in terms of “moving on” at the right moment. If the right moment is fairly early, then perhaps I’ve “skipped” that question. So no need to work through AC’s necessarily, but that doesn’t mean you haven’t made an attempt. I suppose you might truly skip certain question types if you know you’re just that bad at them that an attempt is highly unlikely to be productive. If this is the case though, skipping is not a solution; it’s a stopgap for until you address the underlying fundamentals that make the question type so unreliable for you.

@FindingSage said:
    Trying to become more aggressive in how I take the test has been helping me break into the next level but like I said I am under confident and get nervous about leaving questions open and having a lot of questions flagged. Do you think having a specific number of questions that I am planning on leaving unanswered round one will help me feel more confident? I should mention that my blind review score is consistently where I want to be timed.

My tendency is towards under confidence as well. The first time I ever did any time management work was when JY himself told me to take the test “recklessly.” Not just aggressively, the word he used was “reckless.” I was consistently BRing 179/180, so again, this is all dependent on solid fundamentals! But as an exercise, you need to try and go too far. If you never go too far, you’ll never know how far you can go. That was the first section I ever took where I truly wasn’t just concerned with what the outcome would be. My assignment was to be recklessly aggressive, not to score well. So that’s what I did. Of course, JY knew what he was talking about and there was a clear correlation to how well I accomplished the assignment and how well I scored. Over time, I was able to reverse engineer exactly why that worked. In the beginning though, this was not born and bred in a lab setting, it was caught in the wild of untamed recklessness, and I think it’s important to remember that.

So allow yourself to operate a wild, unrefined execution of this. From there, you want to analyze and articulate what you see happening and tame the beast. For starters though, it’s a great beginning to simply give yourself the freedom to kinda just go nuts. I often forget the very unscientific beginnings of my own genesis with timing strategy and I think I’d do well to keep it in mind. So let loose. The analysis, especially at the beginning, is for hindsight.

• Help2222Help2222 Member
    240 karma

I think this is a great idea

edited April 2020 2042 karma

@"Cant Get Right" , so glad to hear you finally have internet back! Isolation with Covid-19 and no internet is enough to be a recipe for disaster. Thank you for your detailed response and explaination. I had never heard of planning on "skipping" a certian number of questions before nor had I seen the timing sheet or seen those confidence level percentages so it all felt new to me and I found myself with a ton of questions!

I also don't like the word " skipping" because I feel like I seldom truly skip a question. Once in awhile if I try to read the stiumlus and just can not engage with it or maybe I see a question that is highly conditional and I know I am going to want to map it out I might actually skip those on round one because I don't want to lose my rhythm and I want the time that I need to really map those out without feeling like I am not going to finish the section or I am getting stuck on a question early in the section. For the most part "skipping" for me looks more like eliminating answer choices or maybe being down to two answer choices, and feeling like I may have missed something in the stimulus and then wanting to flag the question to come back to on round two. I have particular question types like I feel more likely to flag and come back to on round two, like parallel flaw but I always read the stiumlus. Sometimes I will read the stiumlus identify a whole to part flaw, read the until anser choice B, see the same flaw, pick B and move on. As some of my struggle with confidence I likely will still flag that question.

I have not tried to take a section totally reckless, that scares me but I will try. I know that it will further help me to care about the end results. I have tried to take a section what I thought was very aggressivley ( 23 minutes for round one), and I flagged like 12 questions lol. Odd, but since I finished round one so quickly I even had time for round 3. With 12 questions flagged I also only missed 1 question and it was an over confidence error because as soon as I saw I missed something like question 7 when I was blind reviewing I was laughing. My BR score generally ranges from 176-180 ( I feel like I am just now really putting in the work on reading comp) so I suppose I am ready to try this and not care if I get most of them wrong. I love to reverse engineer things, it is how my mind works so I think I will enjoy the challenge, not of taking sections recklessly but of actually trying to figure out the test on a deeper level.

• 175orelse175orelse Alum Member
    51 karma

@Mike_Ross Can I have access to the recording or powerpoint deck? I'm very interested in this!

3106 karma

@175orelse said:
    @Mike_Ross Can I have access to the recording or powerpoint deck? I'm very interested in this!

@rdelltownsel said:

@FindingSage said:

Hey people! Sorry it’s taken some time. @"Cant Get Right" and I are discussing about what another session may look like

It would be good for anyone to weigh in and let us know what would be better: a deeper dive following the last webinar or another session of the same content?

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Hi @Mike_Ross and @"Cant Get Right"

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I would love to see the next webinar be a deeper dive that gets into more nuance. Thank you both so much for even considering taking the time to do another one of these!

• Jeff----Jeff---- Alum Member
    205 karma

Hi @Mike_Ross, any news on when the recording might be available? As I said before, I am really interested on listening to this discussion. Thank you so much. :smiley:

• 175orelse175orelse Alum Member
    51 karma

@Mike_Ross since I missed the last session, getting the same/similar session will be much appreciated!

3106 karma

@175orelse said:
    @Mike_Ross since I missed the last session, getting the same/similar session will be much appreciated!

@"Jeff----" said:
    Hi @Mike_Ross, any news on when the recording might be available? As I said before, I am really interested on listening to this discussion. Thank you so much. :smiley:

@jmarmaduke96 said:
    Hi @Mike_Ross and @"Cant Get Right"

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I would love to see the next webinar be a deeper dive that gets into more nuance. Thank you both so much for even considering taking the time to do another one of these!

@rdelltownsel said:

@WhimsicalWillow said:

@FindingSage said:

Hey people! Updates to share:

@"Cant Get Right" and I just discussed how the next session might look

In the interest of accommodating everyone who want a deeper dive and everyone who missed the first session and wants a chance to watch, here is what we will do:

We will present the same seminar again, but this time, we will spend more time on certain slides, discussing/answering questions that those who attended the first seminar have. This can be requests for further clarification, wonderings about what being well-calibrated means, or anything like, "what would you do if ___"

The next session will be held this Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 7:30pm EST

What does everyone think? if you're all down for this, I'll post another announcement of the next session and you can all share your questions there. That would give us time to curate and plan our presentation around!

• jayp1011jayp1011 Alum Member
    76 karma

Sounds great @Mike_Ross, thank you to you and @"Cant Get Right"!

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Fantastic, thank you both!

• iceprez06iceprez06 Member
    4 karma

I missed the first one as well. Thanks for offering a re-do.

• Jay TeeJay Tee Alum Member
    298 karma

@"Madison Publius Hamilton" said:
    @Mike_Ross I would definitely be interested in another session but only if it's not too much trouble

Same!

2042 karma

Sounds great!

3106 karma

@jayp1011 said:
    Sounds great @Mike_Ross, thank you to you and @"Cant Get Right"!

@FindingSage said:
    Sounds great!

@"Jay Tee" said:

@"Madison Publius Hamilton" said:
    @Mike_Ross I would definitely be interested in another session but only if it's not too much trouble

Same!

@iceprez06 said:
    I missed the first one as well. Thanks for offering a re-do.

@jmarmaduke96 said:
    Fantastic, thank you both!

@"Jeff----" said:

@WhimsicalWillow said:

Hey all, I posted the new thread so feel free to post questions there!