Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valid and Invalid Argument Forms

jrose.smithjrose.smith Free Trial Member
in General 47 karma

Hey guys!

I was really upset yesterday because I could not understand the 9 valid and 7 invalid argument forms. For everyone else having trouble, taking a break and coming back to it the next day really helps! Sometimes you just need to give yourself a break. Anyways, I started to do practice problems with the chains. If I know how to work the chains do I need to memorize all of the forms?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• 1058 karma

Memorizing the valid and invalid forms will help you move faster through problems that use a lot of conditional reasoning. This helps a lot with Parallel Reasoning problems especially, which are time consuming even if you are fast at recognizing the forms. So I encourage you to memorize them. This is a skill that will help you not just with the LSAT but also with practicing law.

• jrose.smithjrose.smith Free Trial Member
    47 karma

I have them memorized in that I could recognize them intuitively. Do you think that would be good enough or I should memorize exactly the way JY presented them to us?

• 1058 karma

I would try drilling some of the hard logical reasoning problems that use a lot of conditional reasoning in them. See how you do and let the results tell you if you need to spend more time on the forms. If you are able to recognize the forms well in the problems then you should be good to go.

• 776 karma

Uhm - the purpose of the valid/invalid lesson is to give you a better control of the stimulus by anticipating what will/could be happening or will be expected to happen.

Your MBT, SA, PMOR - a lot of these questions hinge on this. These are lower hanging fruits on the LSAT that super attainable. The benefit of memorizing and anticipating where the argument is going gives you the opportunity of doing one these questions in a span of 2 mins to a span of 45 seconds. Right there, is 1:15 min saved on your exam which will be huge!!!