Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT June Flex

ARMANC74ARMANC74 Member
in General 210 karma

Alright all your future lawyers, let's have a bit of debate. I wanna hear people's opinions on writing vs not writing the online administered June LSAT (3 sections vs 5). I'm personally on the fence and want to hear what other people think and the pros and cons of the situation

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Joining you in having a long list of questions about this.

• 1058 karma

I wouldn't be surprised if the flex is the designated exam for the rest of this year. That being said, I think the pros/cons are as follows:

Pros of Flex:
    - Shorter test, less exhaustion.
    - Lots of people are scared about RC weighing more since there is one less LR section. But being strong in LG, which will also weigh more, could help counter the extra weight that RC has.
    - If LR isn't your strength then this is a good option since LR isn't doubled.

Cons:
    - It sounds like missing 1 problem will cost you more since there are less problems to begin with. In other words, there is very little room for error.
    - If LR is your best section then you may not score as high since it has less weight.

Interesting situation for sure!

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Pros
    -Better testing environment for many people (no coughing and sniffling peers in the test center)
    -No commute to test center, getting lost in test center, etc
    -Shorter test so less fatigue
    -No experimental
    -Use your own computer instead of a finnicky tablet that you've never used before

Cons
    -RC and LG weighted more relative to LR (not necessarily a con - depends on your own strengths and weaknesses)
    -Worry about your own technology failing - however, LSAC keeps specifying that they will work with you if something catastrophic happens. This is also a concern if your tablet in the test center effs up, so not necessarily a Flex con.

But the biggest thing impacting my decision to stay with the June flex instead of postponing is that we don't know how long covid will go on for. Many are predicting things won't improve or stabilize too much in the fall. So, given that I don't want to delay my admissions cycle, I'm just going to take the Flex as it is and hope for the best.

• ram2258ram2258 Alum Member
    26 karma

Is 7-Sage going to create LSAT-Flex exams, with 3 sections?

• ARMANC74ARMANC74 Member
    210 karma

Very valid point that this is likely going to be the format for the foreseeable future

• edited April 2020 1025 karma

Con:
    My two strengths are LR and LG. So not having a second LR section makes my weak RC section worth 1/3 of the overall score, rather than the normal 1/4. That's a big con for myself. ADDITIONALLY, keep in mind that RC typically has the most questions out of all the sections. Thus, an RC section makes up around 34-37% of the overall score on a flex exam vs the usual 24-27% on a normal LSAT. That's a 10% nerf to ya boy.

Pros:
    The plus sides, though, are so massive. Being able to set a time one would like to take the test at, in a place where one studies for the LSAT already, is about as big as an advantage we can get. It's just like any old practice test!

Also, on my last LSAT I sat in on, I got an experimental LG section that was damn near impossible to complete within the time limits. I normally go -0 on LG and I finished that section without answering 8 questions. That totally screwed with my head for the rest of the test until I was given the 5th section of LG, which felt like an average LG section. Basically, until I reached the 5th section, I had a 1/3 chance that the impossible LG section I took was experimental, and I knew those odds when I took it. Not having to deal with an experimental section that can screw with my mind and negatively affect my overall score is also another huge plus.

I'm taking this Flex in an attempt to get off a few waitlists this summer. If I can't pull that off, then I hope to at least get some more $ from the school I'm accepted at. If I don't improve, I'm already accepted at a school and I can fall back on that. The risk is fairly small of losing an acceptance vs the possibility of increasing scholarship $$ or getting in to higher-ranked schools if I do well.

• 1058 karma

@TheDeterminedC RC having more Qs is a good point. That should be concerning if RC isn't a strength.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Yeah - I think anyone who is really opposed to taking the Flex for whatever reasons probably needs to accept that they have to delay their applications by a cycle.

• 1058 karma

One thing is for sure, if you aren't scheduled for June then practice as if you are going to take the 5 section test. It wouldn't be good if we practiced for the 3 section test only to find out we won't have that as an option.

• edited April 2020 1025 karma

@"The Great White Shark" said:
    @TheDeterminedC RC having more Qs is a good point. That should be concerning if RC isn't a strength.

Thanks. Yeah, the average is about 27 questions a section for RC, right? With LG around 23 and LR around 25 for a section.

That would mean RC is 27/75 of the test, a 36% average is HUGE.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Likely Pros: Easier scheduling, knowing the exact types/numbers of each section, a less distracting setting, a shorter experience, and getting the test over with/being able to finally check that box
    Likely Cons: Less cushioning for wrong answers, undisclosed exams, the possibility of technology issues, and privacy concerns related to some online proctoring policies which students have discussed on forums that have not really been addressed much yet.

• 1058 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:

Thanks. Yeah, the average is about 27 questions a section for RC, right? With LG around 23 and LR around 25 for a section.

Yes it’s definitely an edge to those who are good at RC.

I think I’m going to add to my previous statement about studying for the 5 section test. I’m going to continue studying as if I will take 5 sections to build endurance, but it may be worth treating the extra section as if it is RC instead of LR. Who knows which test we will be taking as the year proceeds. But we want to be ready for either.

As Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings says: “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

• 1025 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:

Yes it’s definitely an edge to those who are good at RC.

I think I’m going to add to my previous statement about studying for the 5 section test. I’m going to continue studying as if I will take 5 sections to build endurance, but it may be worth treating the extra section as if it is RC instead of LR. Who knows which test we will be taking as the year proceeds. But we want to be ready for either.

As Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings says: “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Great idea!! I will be using this study method moving forward. Thank you :D