Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Diagnostic Study Plan for Long Term

skmono68skmono68 Member
in General 34 karma

Hello,

I am a rising junior and plan to take the LSAT my senior year. I am also extremely new to the world of LSAT so I have basically no idea how to formulate a study plan or how my diagnostic should be viewed (if any help I would obviously like to score 170+).

I took the diagnostic on Khan academy and got a 159 (-4 on first Logic Reasoning, -14 on logic games, -7 on Reading Comprehension, and -5 on last Logic Reasoning) -- not sure if that should be converted to -9 on logic reasoning, -14 on logic games, -7 on reading comprehension.

I recognize that I am begining to study seemingly absurdly early but I have a few reasons for this
1 - an abudance of time this summer for obvious reasons
2 - not sure I can devote much time during the academic year.

With all of this said, what should my long-term study guide be. I have no ideas what I am doing right now or how to generally go about this, so any and all feedback is much appreciated!

(Also sorry if these types of questions are redundant or are not welcome here)

Thanks!

Comments

• The BatmanThe Batman Core Member
    24 karma

Never too early to begin studying for the LSAT. Assuming you plan on using the 7Sage content, I would start off by working through the curriculum on here and then doing as many prep tests as possible. There isn't a magic number, it's really as many as it takes until you're consistently scoring in your target range. That's it in a nutshell. Make sure you're consistent with your schedule and don't be afraid to post in the forum as the community here is very welcoming to questions.

• 40 karma

There's nothing wrong with starting your prep early as long as you keep it up. Try not to go more than a few days without at least doing some kind of LSAT work, even if it's not a long study session. You don't want to burnout by working too hard for too long and you want to be able to retain what you learn. Slow and steady. Go through the curriculum and retain everything you can. Your score is not important right now. Learning the material is. And good news, based on your diagnostic, I would say your score will probably shoot up a lot after going through the curriculum. LG is the easiest to learn, so it's actually nice for you that it's the category you struggled in the most. With some work, you'll get that LG score down pretty quickly and your score will jump along with it. Regardless, don't worry about your score right now. Work through the curriculum, take the time to blind review questions fully after each practice set and let your brain absorb the material. You'll be killing it on this test soon enough.

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

Hey!

I think it's smart to take advantage of this time. The LSAT cannot be mastered through memorization, so the more time you have to practice, make mistakes, and learn from them, the more your score will increase as you learn the skills over time.

I also agree that your score will definitely shoot up given that your weakest section was LG- which is great news for you!

As for a long term study plan, I would just cover all your bases by:
    1. getting the CC done (and by that, I mean doing up until when the PTs start) to solidify your foundation. Also look into other resources in addition to the CC. I used Ellen Cassidy's Loophole and I really liked it for LR and I know many others do as well, so check that out if it's of interest. Keep a wrong answer journal- I have one on an excel sheet, others do it in writing, but it's crucial to not just do the questions but actually truly understand what tripped you up and what you could learn from it. For RC really try to read for at least 30 mins a day (ideally 1 hour) of the Economist or other publications that are wordier.
    2. After the CC, start to PT, blind review them, analyze what you got wrong and then do drills for that during the week. For LG- foolproof (there are videos for that on 7sage).
    3. If you find yourself in a plateau, or getting stuck on certain ideas/ problems, get a tutor to help you fine-tune. When you start consistently scoring a few points above your ideal score, you're golden.

This is a super general idea of what to do, but your long term plan will form as you start taking the right steps, like completing the CC. After that, you find practice methods that work best for you, there are plenty of tips throughout the forums- and a tutor can also point you in the right direction. Good luck!