Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for the week before the test

AwokenNovaAwokenNova Alum Member
edited May 2020 in General 176 karma

My goal for the LSAT is to score a 160. I plan to take the LSAT-Flex on May 22nd.

To give background about myself, I started out as a 128 in late 2019. I have been scoring in the early 150 range for months. I continued to hammer my problematic areas, and today I got a 161 on a PT! I am really excited and hopeful! How would some of you recommend I go about this last week before the test? I had 2-3 practice tests scheduled before then, and I figured I would continue to practice the areas I struggle with. Is there any other advice to avoid any potential burnout after such a leap? I do not want to forget anything.

Comments

• legallyconfusedlegallyconfused Alum Member
    350 karma

I would say to practice as much as possible. I am literally trying to take a test every other day and review each test the following day.

• The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member
    edited May 2020 364 karma

@AwokenNova I am taking the test on May 18th DO NOT DO the PT everyday that strategy will just wear you down. I took my last PT before the test and got a 168. I am happy with said score and going to go over the test today and work skills and timing until the exam. Throughout college I swam at the collegiate level and coached under the head coaches of Harvard and Yale as a side job. This test is like a championship meet. You do not do the hardest workouts of your life the week before the big meet just like you do not study like mad before the exam. That is not strategic as you will just be burnt out and tired for the test, in addition that shows insecurity in your training. Right now with your best score you know your training works, now just taper down and get mentally ready. DO NOT stress, DO NOT wear yourself down unnecessarily, and BE CONFIDENT.

• AwokenNovaAwokenNova Alum Member
    176 karma

Thank you so much @The Judges! I was a collegiate athlete too and I love this advice. I was just thinking if I should treat this as a race. Also thank you @legallyconfused ! i will just do timing and practice moving forward with a special focusing on timing the problematic areas.

• legallyconfusedlegallyconfused Alum Member
    350 karma

@TheJudges and @AwokenNova What should I be doing all week then? Take one exam, review it, and then what? My test is about 30 days away...I have studied every section of the test and feel I have a solid foundation. I just need practice in timing and staying in control. I don't know how else to prepare if I am not doing timed tests and timed sections. Especially because most of the questions I get incorrect are based off me feeling rushed and anxious and misreading.

• nilo-202nilo-202 Member
    16 karma

@legallyconfused your test is 30 days away so I'd say you're in a different spot from @AwokenNova. I am taking the flex on May 18th and here is my advice - for the week before the test, take one or two more PTs (i.e the Saturday and Sunday the full week before the test). If your first one goes well, then stop. I took a PT last Saturday, scored a 173. I feel super happy with that score and I want to end my studying on a high note. If you score poorly, say 5 points under your goal, you will walk around worried and further, you will try to take more PTs so to prove to yourself that you can score higher. This will wear you out.

When you have taken your last PT the week before the test, take your time to review it. Then, see if there are some problem areas that stand out and focus on drilling those for the next week. Traditional convention holds that you improve LG the easiest, the LR, then RC. So maybe allocate time accordingly. Do individual games and pick a pace that reminds your body to keep up the adrenalin without draining you. I personally have been studying 9 am - 6 pm for months, this last week I am doing something like 11 am - 3 pm. For me that is just enough to remind my body that it isn't time to relax yet, without draining myself. But everyone is different - find the pace that works for you!

• lschnepellschnepel Alum Member
    30 karma

@"The Judges" said:
    @AwokenNova I am taking the test on May 18th DO NOT DO the PT everyday that strategy will just wear you down. I took my last PT before the test and got a 168. I am happy with said score and going to go over the test today and work skills and timing until the exam. Throughout college I swam at the collegiate level and coached under the head coaches of Harvard and Yale as a side job. This test is like a championship meet. You do not do the hardest workouts of your life the week before the big meet just like you do not study like mad before the exam. That is not strategic as you will just be burnt out and tired for the test, in addition that shows insecurity in your training. Right now with your best score you know your training works, now just taper down and get mentally ready. DO NOT stress, DO NOT wear yourself down unnecessarily, and BE CONFIDENT.

This is a very good answer.

• The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member
    364 karma

@legallyconfused I agree with @nilofarvakili. With your training work on skills. do single sections, go light and do 8 of each sections some days. Vary your training. I would tell you to periodize your training if you know about athletics, if not do a PT or endurance day, then do a timing day a timed section then some problems from other sections, after that a skills day working only on problem types you are weak on and try to gain more knowledge. Make sure to always have an off day.

176 karma

@legallyconfused when I was a month away, I looked at my trends. It seems like you have a lot of practice tests, so if I were you I would input the data in 7sage then analyze your trends. It will break down what you should prioritize as you study. For me I noticed I get the same types of questions wrong that show up frequently over and over. I spent time reviewing those sections and practicing timing on my logic games. That is what led to my huge jump of 10 points. Hope it helps. Also thank you to everyone for your advice for the week before!

176 karma

@nilofarvakili Thank you for this advice! I got my happy score so I will stick to practicing timing and tapering like you said. Also completely agree! Improving LG was low hanging fruit to improve on!