Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

158 to 165+ jump (no time limit)

PreWorkoutPreWorkout Alum Member
in General 198 karma

Hope everyone is doing well! Not sure if this has been discussed but I notice certain patterns/trends that are helpful in making a jump from 140 to 150 and I’m curious if any of you could share tips/insights that helped get into the 160’s and more specifically 165+ range. Aside from LG which I believe fool proof is key, study tips for LR and RC that helped with this would would be appreciated!

Comments

• mlhinklemlhinkle Member
    292 karma

I started at a 130. I can’t give advice for rc because that’s where I lose my points but for Lr I think the biggest point grab for me was going through lr sections untimed and doing the following:
    1. Highlight conclusion
    2. Identify each sentence in stimulus (is it premise, sub conclusion, etc)
    3.name the type of question (mss, rre, etc.)
    4. Go through answers A-E and explain why each one is wrong / why the correct answer is correct.

I would then go back to it later on in the week and do it all over again. (First time you don’t check answers)
    Then go through and see which ones you missed / review concepts.
    It seams like it’s a long process.. BUT... in time you’ll be thankful you did this.

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

I really think reviewing my old prep tests was the best thing. I went over every question until I was sure I understood the logic and why each answer choice was right or wrong. If I didn't "get it," I kept thinking about it until I did. It was hard work but worth it.

Aside from that, I worked on my test-taking strategies until I developed effective methods for tackling each section. Small time-saving adjustments add up over the length of the full test. For example, mastering the LR translation drill so that you only have to read a stimulus once before moving on to the answer choices permitted me to finish LR sections in around 25 minutes. Skipping/flagging difficult LR questions before coming back to them at the end is also highly recommended and improves your score.

It's been a while since I've studied LSAT as I'm preparing for 1L year, but I still remember some tricks! Good luck conquering the exam.

• Andrew_NeimanAndrew_Neiman Alum Member
    edited May 2020 258 karma

I stopped trying to score perfect in LR, mastered easy logic games and made sure to gun through RC questions after a thorough read.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

I made that jump from 151 to the range you are talking about. Yes, first is LG. Get LG to -2/-1 and you are approaching 160. Next, similar to @Andrew_Neiman above, really grind away at LR. You should never get a question before 12 wrong (unless its one of the ones where the hardest question is in the first five). To master LR, diagnose problem areas. Look at your analytics to see if there are particular types you are weaker at and put tons of emphasis during Blind Review on what your thought process under time pressure.

If you can fix all "simple" mistakes on LR and master LG, you are basically at where you are trying to get to.

• zuundal5zuundal5 Alum Member
    21 karma

I recommend going through the core curriculum at least 3 times, untimed 160 on lsat means you understand the fundamentals, anything below that you don't understand the test yet.