Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COVID and the JD job market

DoingitfortheDingoDoingitfortheDingo Alum Member
in General 31 karma

Does anyone know how COVID is changing the JD job market? I read some large firms weren’t hiring a freshman class? In a job market that is already saturated can we expect employment numbers for schools to take a hit/make all this worth it financially in the long run?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I join you in being worried.

• Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member
    205 karma

You have to compare the decline with other professions as they also will take a hit.

• dansykes94dansykes94 Core Member
    112 karma

There will be a recession.

Honestly thinking of postponing to Fall 2021.

High chance the damage will peak in 2-3 years

5254 karma

Around 2008 and in the years following the legal job market wasn't a happy scene. It wasn't the only field to have this situation, but it was definitely one that hit very tough times.

• mellomelmellomel Alum Member
    292 karma

I share everybody's concerns. But I also think that the legal job market could do relatively better than other sectors in these sorts of mass instabilities. A lot of people will need lawyers to pick up the pieces. Not to say all will be well and good, but just a glass half full perspective.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    edited May 2020 470 karma

@dansykes94 said:
    There will be a recession.

Honestly thinking of postponing to Fall 2021.

High chance the damage will peak in 2-3 years

I have heard a few people mention that they expect the damage to be much worse in a couple years than it is now/later this year. Is there a good reason to think this other than just going off of what we saw after 2008?

Another question I have is if people expect the impending legal recession to have a strong impact on those graduating from a T14? How about T6?

Relatedly, can anyone provide links to recent articles that talk about expectations for the legal market in the near future, beyond simply "hiring is down"?

Thanks.

5254 karma

@MIT_2017, I don't think we can post links, but Spivey has some good articles and he tracks this information. He also has a good podcast. I've heard there was also a recession in 1992 that was pretty bad, but I don't know as much about it as 2008. The thing is, both these recessions didn't involve a pandemic, and when you thrown in the health considerations, obviously we're living in tough times and right now unemployment is at a high percentage rate--not isolating law here just quoting headlines for general labor rates. While I don't know about specific schools and graduate outcomes, I do know Law School Transparency is very concerned about employment outcomes. And the Reddit School of Law has discussions about some internships and summer associate positions being virtual and others cancelled.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

@lsatplaylist thanks very much, i'll check out those sources