Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with Weakening Questions

miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
edited July 2020 in Logical Reasoning 1016 karma

I'm currently drilling weakening question types and they're honestly giving me a really hard time. I feel confident about my task: find something that weakens the support between the premise and conclusion. I have found that really understanding the stimulus before going to the answer choices has helped me a lot. However, I am starting to notice that anticipating a possible way to weaken the stimulus is really hurting me. There have been times when I have been able to correctly anticipate the answer choice. On the other hand, when I run into a question where my anticipation isn't one of the answer choices I end up getting the wrong answer. In said situations, I have noticed that I am so fixed on the answer choice that I anticipated that I end up not liking any of the answer choices. I read through each of them and end up making assumptions that lead me to believe that none of the answer choices would work. I'm not sure how to approach this issue. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Comments

• 410 karma

I think sometimes having an anticipation is good, but for now if you're still fairly early on in your prep it's okay to not anticipate for now. This might sound counter-intuitive, but you kind of have to see what the LSAT's 'meta' is so to speak and understand the usual methodologies that they use to weaken. As you see more and more of these patterns, THEN you can start anticipating because

1) You'll have seen more, and thus get a better grasp of when they're looking for what
    2) Even if your anticipation doesn't match, you'll know the general patterns and routines that means you don't tunnel vision too hard on any one possibility.

So I think this is a bit of a case of trying to run before you walk. Let the answer choices guide you -- since it's just prep, it's actually completely OK if you're wrong. Wrong answers are more memorable anyway. Also, for many of the harder WKN/STR questions, it's very difficult to anticipate how the right answer does the job since they approach from an angle that most people wouldn't think about. Anticipation is only one of many tactics you should have when approaching the questions.

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

I almost never try to anticipate the answers to weakening questions, because there are a plethora of ways to weaken questions. And, especially on the tough questions, the test writers will craft traps based on an answer many people would anticipate. Anticipating is something I did frequently early on in my prep, but, as I studied more, I noticed it really only harmed me rather than helping me.

Instead, really hone in on how the premises are supposed to support the conclusion. Find something that could make the premises support the conclusion less. Remember that the correct weakening answer only has to weaken the support a little bit. You don't have to completely wreck the argument.

In general, don't do something on the LSAT just because other people do it. If you notice that anticipating answers hurts you, then practice not anticipating.

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    1016 karma

I greatly appreciate the advice!! @"jeff.wongkachi" @danielbrowning208