Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying out of order

Bookworm-1Bookworm-1 Member
in General 43 karma

Has anyone doing the course out of order? Like starting with RC instead of LR. If so, what have your results been like?

Comments

• mhf.andrewmhf.andrew Member
    207 karma

As a monthly subscriber, I have been considerably out of order. I started with some LR, as the course recommends, and certainly I have seen some progress. But in order to justify my monthly expenses, I needed to dive into LG, as this is my weak spot, and as 7 Sage has a reputation for being quite good at illuminating this section for LG challenged applicants such as myself. After just having spent some time in LG I saw some positive results, which convinced me to keep my monthly subscription.
    I am reserving RC for last, as I do not expect that RC is as teachable as the other two sections. Moreover, if you think about it from a business perspective, it makes sense that RC is where it is. If you place the section that is not very teachable, if teachable at all, at the very beginning, you would certainly risk losing monthly subscribers if the subscribers adhered to ordering of the sections, for they may well conclude that the course fails to instruct.

• Bookworm-1Bookworm-1 Member
    43 karma

@"mhf.andrew" said:
    As a monthly subscriber, I have been considerably out of order. I started with some LR, as the course recommends, and certainly I have seen some progress. But in order to justify my monthly expenses, I needed to dive into LG, as this is my weak spot, and as 7 Sage has a reputation for being quite good at illuminating this section for LG challenged applicants such as myself. After just having spent some time in LG I saw some positive results, which convinced me to keep my monthly subscription.
    I am reserving RC for last, as I do not expect that RC is as teachable as the other two sections. Moreover, if you think about it from a business perspective, it makes sense that RC is where it is. If you place the section that is not very teachable, if teachable at all, at the very beginning, you would certainly risk losing monthly subscribers if the subscribers adhered to ordering of the sections, for they may well conclude that the course fails to instruct.

thanks!

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    edited July 2020 815 karma

I disagree with andrew. If I could go back, I would first study RC, LR, than LG. RC takes the longest amount of time to get good at, the sooner you practice this element, the better chance you have at getting better at it. You do not want to get through LR and LG, than realize you only have a limited amount of time to get good at RC because it definitely is not learnable in a month or two.

RC as a topic is quite simple to understand, it's literally two video lessons. Then off you go and start reading RC passages and answering questions.

Furthermore, RC and LR complement each other very much so, as reading for speed and comprehension is important in both sections. As you do RC passages, you will learn how to quickly parse important information (key points), anticipate questions, and see how the paragraphs interact with one another. All of these skills (aside from anticipating questions) will pay dividends for your LR sections.

PS: I would do the grammar section before RC and continue to read one RC passage a day until the very end of your studies. This is all assuming you are starting from scratch and are not very good at RC like most.