Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I write a Diversity Statement?

nmg41800nmg41800 Alum Member

I've been considering writing a DS about reconciling my conservative cultural background with my American environment. I specifically plan on touching on some aspects of my life that resulted in me being distanced from my cultural community (i.e single motherhood etc.) while other aspects kept me from feeling fully American. I'll also be talking about a more personal issue that made me feel isolated by both, my cultural and American community, because of social taboo/pressure and because I didn't feel like the resources around me were available for people like me. I'm thinking of tying it together by detailing how I've found a happy medium between these 2 identities that once seemed to clash for me, and how this have given me a unique perspective that I'll bring to law school.

I know it's better to not have a DS than to have a bad one, so do y'all think this would be a good idea to pursue - I wanted some opinions before I start writing.

Comments

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

Sounds interesting to me! I think it will really depend on how well you write it, but based on the concept alone I would say go for it!

• changliu0007changliu0007 Alum Member
    24 karma

Yes, yes. Sound like it's gonna be an interesting one. Just make sure you read the prompts closely; not all law school accepts unconventional elements of diversity like political views