Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BackEnd Struggles

Aristotle JonesAristotle Jones Alum Member

Hi,

Majority, if not all, of my misses on LR come from the backend of the section: 17-25. Does anyone have any advice to get over this hump?

Comments

• 10 karma

What helped me the most was trying to up my pace on the early part of the LR section. Once I learned that the early half of LR was typically far easier, I gained a degree of confidence that translated to decisiveness which helped me avoid dwelling on Qs or waffling between ACs. The ability to put in a second round of review usually saves me from about 2 incorrect ACs per section. Watching the real-time videos JY posts for PTs >~75 is a perfect exhibition of this technique.

If you're still pressed for time at the backend, there's usually a PF Q that will certainly demand ~2 mins, so I'd avoid skipping that altogether and finishing the remainder before attacking that one. The key, imo, is to know when to cut losses while also sequestering any confusion or indecision from Q to Q; don't linger and don't carry any indecision into the next Qs, especially if you skip around. It doesn't hurt if you can average 35-45 seconds for the early layups either!

• Aristotle JonesAristotle Jones Alum Member
    166 karma

@cassidybonitch said:
    What helped me the most was trying to up my pace on the early part of the LR section. Once I learned that the early half of LR was typically far easier, I gained a degree of confidence that translated to decisiveness which helped me avoid dwelling on Qs or waffling between ACs. The ability to put in a second round of review usually saves me from about 2 incorrect ACs per section. Watching the real-time videos JY posts for PTs >~75 is a perfect exhibition of this technique.

If you're still pressed for time at the backend, there's usually a PF Q that will certainly demand ~2 mins, so I'd avoid skipping that altogether and finishing the remainder before attacking that one. The key, imo, is to know when to cut losses while also sequestering any confusion or indecision from Q to Q; don't linger and don't carry any indecision into the next Qs, especially if you skip around. It doesn't hurt if you can average 35-45 seconds for the early layups either!

Thank you for this! I really appreciate it. I have noticed the PF question on the backend, and though its usually easy logic, it's the AC's that take up the time

• sammychewssammychews Member
    edited August 2020 210 karma

I was doing some research on Reddit (lol) because I'm struggling with the same issue. Someone suggested you should answer 1-13 then work backwards from 25. It sounds unconventional, but I just tried it out on a practice section and it was my best LR thus far (maybe it was luck idk). I think it sorta helps because your brain is less fatigued when it gets to the hard questions!