Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When stats are a premise

In a sufficient assumption question (and also, I could imagine the scenario w/ "which of the following would justify" questions or strengthen questions), if the stimulus contains a set of statistics, can the answer be "the stated statistics are correct"? It seems like this can never be the answer. I know that premises can't be directly attacked in a weaken question. So it seems that directly affirming a premise (and adding no other info) wouldn't be something that the testmakers would do on the reverse side.

Comments

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    654 karma

Can you reference a specific question?

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    edited August 2020 614 karma

Warning! Don't read any more if you don't want a question from a 36+ preptest spoiled!

Here's a link to a sufficient assumption question with the statistic being correct as the correct answer choice.

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-36-section-1-question-18

• qwerty1234qwerty1234 Member
    8 karma

That question is different because the stimulus already included the phrase "if the stats are correct," so it wouldn't be merely affirming a premise to say "the stats are correct."

I can't remember my question but it was similar to this:

Restaurant owner: having too many ovens can confuse our staff, causing them to be slower. We have 10 ovens. A competitor across the street has five ovens and his staff are faster than ours. Therefore we have too many ovens.

SA question.

(A) The statistics quoted by the restaurant owner are correct.

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    edited September 2020 614 karma

@qwerty1234 said:
    That question is different because the stimulus already included the phrase "if the stats are correct," so it wouldn't be merely affirming a premise to say "the stats are correct."

I can't remember my question but it was similar to this:

Restaurant owner: having too many ovens can confuse our staff, causing them to be slower. We have 10 ovens. A competitor across the street has five ovens and his staff are faster than ours. Therefore we have too many ovens.

SA question.

(A) The statistics quoted by the restaurant owner are correct.

It's difficult to say for sure, as I'd have to see the question. Do you at least remember the preptest number range of the question? For example, was it in the 20s? I can't remember any other questions except for the one I listed, so I would like to see the one you were talking about.