Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to start

I am taking the LSAT in October and November and am applying in hopefully November or December. Should I start thinking about my application materials like personal statement now, or should i spend all my time studying for the LSAT?

Comments

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

I can't tell you what the best course of action is but I can share what has worked well for me.

I personally had the same idea, that, I am not going to think about my personal statement until I am done with LSAT. But during breaks or anytime that I wasn't doing anything cognitively demanding I would think about what I would write about for my personal and diversity statement. Every now and then good, even great, ideas came to mind and I wrote them down on my Notes app. After few months of this I had a sizable amount of notes. When 7Sage announced 7K scholarship it was the perfect timing to write up my personal statement even though it was limited to 5000 characters. Now I have a very good personal statement draft and just need to revise it little bit more till the final product.

I think you should prioritize LSAT until you take the test but just think about what you are going to write about here and there. You'll be surprised how many good ideas you will be able to come up with.

Good luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Christina Walton" said:
    I am taking the LSAT in October and November and am applying in hopefully November or December. Should I start thinking about my application materials like personal statement now, or should i spend all my time studying for the LSAT?

I'd highly suggest starting on your application materials. I think the PS that I ended up submitting when I applied was like version 4-5. It's certainly something you want to have sufficient time to revise and edit! More importantly----make sure to reach out to profs for your letters of rec early! One of my LOR took about a month. Profs are busy during the school year and can take a while to get back to you. So you'll want to leave plenty of time to follow-up.

Good luck!