Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on using older LOR?

edited September 2020 in Law School Admissions 13 karma

I planned to apply for the 2019 - 2020 cycle and my LSAT didn't go as well. Now that I am scoring near my goal score with a significant 20 point improvement I will be applying this upcoming cycle but wondered if it is ok to use one of my old LORs from Dec 2019. The LOR that I am thinking of is from a professor who taught me years ago in undergrad and is now the president of a Fortune 500 so pretty busy...I've asked for several letters from him in the past as well so was thinking to just use his letter that is already on my LSAC account from December 2019 which he stated was very detailed. Has anyone used an older letter or have any advice regarding this? This would be the only letter from undergrad which I've been out of for about 3 - 4 years so I cannot replace it. The other letters will be more current from my now workplace and a gap year fellowship.

Comments

• venusx17-1venusx17-1 Member
    191 karma

I just recently reached out to 2 profs who wrote my letters last year when I thought I was going to apply. One of them mentioned that the date doesn't show up/matter? I can't confirm, but I just resent them a link for an LoR and asked them to re-upload it so that it would be new. I think you're fine leaving it. LSAC just says that if you're using an old letter to ask the prof if it's ok that you're using it for a different year, so if you think they'd be chill, you're probably chillin. I looked for an answer to this question for a while, and I was actually going to call some admissions offices - I can do that tomorrow and pm you an answer, but I think generally you're ok.

• 13 karma

Perfect! And if you do call let me know, otherwise thank you for the feedback!

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

I remember going to a law forum once and asking the same question. You should be fine with a Dec. 2019 LOR! Unless you've had significant updates to your life post-grad you want your rec. to include, then I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just double check the requirements for the schools you're applying to.

• 13 karma

Thank you!