Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on notifying professors who wrote your LOR that you will apply for the next cycle

helentang02helentang02 Alum Member
in General 246 karma
I did not take the December 2016 LSAT and the February 2017 LSAT because I needed more time to study, take more PE & BR etc. June 2017 will be my test date.

My question is, for the people who decided to apply the following year too, what did you do regarding your application and LOR? Did you send an e-mail to your professors notifying them that you would be applying for the following year?

On the LSAC website it says to notify your recommenders just in case they want to update your LOR or God forbid not allow you to reuse the LOR. What did you do/ your experience with communicating with professors/recommender via e-mail?

Also please feel free to share any insight relating to what you did once you decided to apply for the next cycle.

Thank you! Cheers to the NEW YEAR and 7SAGE community for making this solo daily LSAT battle feel not so lonely.

Comments

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma
    You can reuse LOR - they stay on your LSAC account for up to five years, I believe. As for applications, I think you can just delete them from your LSAC account and then when they open for the next cycle, re-add them.

I'd just e-mail my professors and tell them that you decided not to apply for law school this year, but thank them for submitting their letters of recommendation so early. Let them know that you will use their letters next year, and maybe if they put a 2016 date on their recommendations they can resubmit them with a 2017 date. If you're anticipating a big career move or significant experience that might contribute to your application"softs in the next year, maybe follow up with the professors next fall so that they can update your LOR if what you do in the next year is related to their recommendation.

I was fairly close to the professors I asked for recommendations, so sending them regular e-mails about something like this was pretty casual. I would just tell them what you said here, and make sure to keep in touch. I really doubt that they wouldn't recommend you again. Good luck!