Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does this feel like a fluke?

Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
in General 541 karma

So I just scored a 161 on PT 63, and this is honestly the equivalent of a 170 plus for me. I Know this level of score will almost certainly get me into a Canadian school and that's all that matters to me at the end of the day.

This came after four months of studying basically full time. After starting off with a 144 diagnostic. Yet, I can't shake the feeling it's a fluke somehow? I can't help but feel maybe I got lucky. Which doesn't seem to be the case because my past three PTs have been 158, 158 and now 161.

From the very beginning I've been doubting myself. Telling myself I'd be happy with a 155, just to have some chance.

Anyone else experience this sort of self doubt and how did you crush it?

I'm tired of part of me thinking I'm not good enough to well on this test. What can I do?

Comments

• willcj343willcj343 Member
    24 karma

I've been feeling the same way. Pretty hard. I need to take more practice tests for sure, but my most recent score I had a hard time believing at all. What I keep trying to reassure myself of is this: had you sat for that exam you'd have gotten that score, which means you can do it again. Sometimes things just click, and they get a little easier. Maybe that's happening to you! Seize it, capitalize on it, and keep plugging away. The higher your ceiling, the easier it'll be to get that magic score you'll be happy with on test day!

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    edited September 2020 426 karma

Here's what I think: It sounds like you are absolutely crushing it! You are putting in the work and seeing results; plain and simple. Don't overthink it.

I also started at a 144 and had a ton of self-doubt for months and months. I still do honestly -- It's hard to shake. I had friends with diagnostic scores that took me six months to achieve. It's easy to feel like you are getting lucky but practice pays off and it clearly is for you. Know this: the amount of hard work you are putting in now will pay off in law school. If four months of full-time studying is just "luck" then you've earned all the luck coming your way. BUT it's not luck, it's you getting LSAT harder, better, faster, and stronger.

What can you do? I would say the same you are doing! You are studying full-time and seeing great results. I see zero indication of why you won't get the score you need and become a lawyer!

• Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
    541 karma

@willcj343 that's a great point about the ceiling and things starting to click.

I've struggled a lot so it's just hard to believe I guess.

I'm going to keep on plugging away.

edited September 2020 541 karma

@Climb_to_170 this is a beautiful comment so thank
    you for that.

I can relate so much to the self doubt vis à vis the comparison with friends' high dianostics. Congrats on your progress :)

I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing no doubt. Maybe if I'm more conscious of this self doubt I can nip it in the but.

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

@"Hans Zimmer"

Let me know how it goes when you decide to sit for the test! Feel free to reach out if you need anything or just want to talk!

541 karma

@Climb_to_170 I sat for August (probably a mistake I did not feel all that ready) but I'm sitting for November most likely!

and thank you I will definitely let you know :)