Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I ready for Nov LSAT?? Help!

WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
edited September 2020 in Study Groups 476 karma

Hello all!

I have taken 5 (FLEX format) PTs (PT 1-5), I have not taken any recent PTs or seen LR questions from recent PTs. My average was 160 but I have seen some of the questions on these exams except for RC section.

My goal score is 165+
I am very comfortable with LG (0 ~ -2 timed but am taking a big hit in RC -12+ timed and -7~ -8 blind review.
LR is okay. (-4 ~ -8 timed). I know I have most to be gained from studying RC since my score is so low and that is precisely what I am doing. After some studying my timed have gone down from -14ish to -9 ~ -11, my BR score has improved as well, -2 ~ -5

The reason I feel rushed to take the Nov is because I don't feel comfortable taking 5-section exam in general even though I am signed up for Jan LSAT.

To be honest I just want to take November because I don't think there will be anymore 3-section exams. I figured, if I don't hit the goal score in Nov, I can study for another 6 months and prepare for the 5-section exam.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! And, good luck to those taking the exam soon!

Comments

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Messaged with you some thoughts

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

PTs 1-5 are significantly different than the newer tests (PT 59+). PT 1-5 have questions types that no longer exist, two-part LR questions, different LG formatting, and no Comparison passages on the RC.

All that being said, there's no reason you shouldn't take the November if you truly think you will do better on a three section test. Like you said, you can always study more. Plus, you still have time to study for November. Try taking a couple newer tests (I would recommend 70 and 80) and see how you do.

• T14plssssT14plssss Member
    edited September 2020 134 karma

Unless you're absolutely set on law school in 2021, I think you'd benefit A LOT from taking a year off to boost your lsat into the 170s. That's the difference between a GW score and HYS score. It could also the difference between getting into GW and getting a full ride to GW. I don't think it's a big deal if you decide to take it in November, but you clearly have tons of potential to get a 99%ile score, and there's no need to rush into it if you can get a game changing score.

Edit: Just using GW as an example of a really good, but not top tier law school. Same could be said for Fordham, BU, Emory, etc.

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    edited September 2020 476 karma

@T14plssss
    Firstly, thank you for the encouraging words!

I am not at all set on lawschool in 2021! Im going to be applying next year, I just don't think I can handle the 5-section exam, my brain is fried after 3 sections (especially after RC section). Although, since RC is my weakest section and RC is weighed less in 5-section exam, it could work to my advantage, what do you think??

I planned my LSAT journey to be at least a year-long process (I'm about 5months in), I think I'm just being impatient and feel anxious about my LG and LR skills deteriorating over time while I'm mostly focused on studying for RC. So. I honestly,100% agree with you. I think I should wait, I'd be a hypocrite to not follow this advice... ughh this is frustrating, if I knew that Jan is going to be FLEX this would've been such an easy decision.

• T14plssssT14plssss Member
    134 karma

@alexhpcs If you're having trouble with stamina, I think it might be worth just practicing with Five section exams to build your endurance. Worst case scenario, your next exam turns Flex and you get to do less. I can sympathize with your brain fry, but getting in the hang of it could help you at least in a "narrowing the goal posts" kind of way.

The other thing is, I think it might be worth looking into some sort of accommodations. If your brain fries that much over the time of the exam, getting extra time might be helpful, since the strain of stress is less intense. LSAC is becoming increasingly liberal with their accommodations. Just a thought.

Ultimately, you're scoring well, and I don't see the Flex being replaced by in-person for the foreseeable future. I'd bet that Jan will be Flex, since Covid doesn't seem to be a standstill unilaterally across the US. My advice would be do the best you can on the November Flex, pay attention to LSAC announcements and Covid stuff for a bit, look into getting accommodated if you feel like that could help, and take one or two PTs a week so you don't lose your chops.