Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake Tips?

mbmeowwwmbmeowww Member
in General 58 karma

I was running on average of 158 on my practice tests, but woke up Friday to see a 154 on my August 2020 LSAT Flex. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. I have an LSAC fee waiver, so I've already gone ahead and signed up for the November exam. I'm wondering two things:

a) Should I cancel my 154 with score preview and apply early with my LSAC applications indicating that I'm retaking in November or should I KEEP the 154 score on my file with the indication that I'm retaking in November? I know that either way they won't review it until the new score comes through, but I feel this anxiety about waiting until literally late November to send the applications, and there's always the chance that I could bomb the November test even worse. It may be irrational, but I can't get it out of my head. Hopefully that makes sense.

b) Perhaps more importantly, does anyone have any general tips for retaking? I studied for months before the August test, and saw myself improve drastically from a 150 on my first prep test. I know I'm cutting it close buckling down on studying to retake in November, but I do already have months of practice behind me. The problem is that I clearly didn't do it right the first time. I am really strong in Reading Comprehension, fairly strong in Logical Reasoning, but consistently struggling with Logic Games. I just can't seem to crack them, no matter how much I practice. I'm pretty sure I missed every single answer on one of the Logic Games on the August exam.

That was lengthy, I know, but if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• cormacrcormacr Member
    90 karma

Hey! Firstly, don't cancel. There is no real benefit to it unless it was like a true disaster. Schools only look at your top score. If you get a 165 in November, the 154 isn't going to disqualify you (you can always write an addendum).

Secondly, I know it probably doesn't feel like it, but I think you are in a good position. LG are widely considered the easiest to improve on, and definitely the easiest to improve on rapidly. It will be a ton of work, but you need to do it. Try the fool-proof method 7sage recommends. Get a fresh game, and take it until you get 100%. Watch the explanation videos afterwards to see if there was a way to get that 100% more efficiently. It is a grind, but I promise you can get better at games. If you were really struggling at RC I might say you were out of luck, but I'm confident you will do better than 154 if you really focus logic games. After a while, the inferences become second nature.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

As someone who will be retaking for the third time in November (first take was July, cancelled due to major connectivity issues with Proctor U, second time was August) here is what I can offer:

a) How far off from your target score is the 154? When I got my August score back I was crushed by how much lower it was than I expected. Most importantly I wish I did not take the test when I knew I was not ready because some schools look at all of your LSAT scores, and some evil ones even take the average. I wish I did not have this low score on my profile but what can you do. I understand wanting to have a score on file, that's what was pushing me to take the test when I knew I wouldn't get my goal score, but I'd recommend cancelling if your score is significantly lower than what you need. For me, I know that my top schools probably won't even look at my file with my current GPA and LSAT score, so it really made no difference. I also think it is unlikely that you will do worse in November than you did on your first-ever LSAT.

b) I have yet to experience this but according to everyone else on here, LG is the section that you can improve the most drastically with. I'd recommend looking into getting a tutor, for the extra help but also for someone to keep you accountable. As for me I'm seriously reassessing my study habits because clearly they have not gotten me to where I need to be. I think you should do the same and see where you haven't been studying as efficiently as you could have been. Hope this helps.