Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To retake or not to retake

jgsiscojgsisco Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 38 karma

So I took the June LSAT and just received my score (164). I've been studying since December, and took the live online class through powerscore and finished the core curriculum here. In the month before the test, I hit up to 168 on practice tests, and had several other scores above 166. Two weeks before the test, I saw a dip in my scores and ended up averaging around a 164. So in terms of my performance directly preceding the test, my actual LSAT matched well my practice tests, but perhaps not my potential.

I have a gpa that is above the 75th percentile for every school, but I am aiming for the mid t-14(15), specifically UVA, UPenn, Michigan, etc. Because 164, while in the range for all of these schools, is low, I'm having a hard time determining whether I should retake the LSAT or not. With a gpa above the 75th for all of these schools and an LSAT within, albeit barely, their range, am I better off focusing on my personal statements, letters of rec, and getting my applications in early, or should I hit the ground running again and try to get to the high 160's?

As a side note, I want to mention that Logic Games have been my weakness, but I lucked out with this test's LG being so easy (I got a 20/23, well above my average in this section), which is worth considering in that the next test is unlikely to be as forgiving in LG.

Thanks for the advice!!

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I would retake. If you take in September, you will still be able to apply early to schools.

Especially if LG is your weakness, you've got 10 weeks to foolproof as much as you can. That's enough time to substantially improve LG.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I totally agree with @AllezAllez21 I'll be retaking purely because I understand statistical variance so even if I don't improve I could score a point or two higher just from variation. A few points can be the difference between UofM and Michigan State, or 10k in scholarships or 20k, either way the benefits are massive and you risk nothing. Just a little sweat and tears haha

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I would retake if you have it in you. Don't settle for mediocre! :)