Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I apply now or wait until my Nov LSAT retake somes back?

3.04 GPA, 163 LSAT (July2020), nonURM, strong softs, Florida resident

I have applied to

Reach: The University of Florida, Arizona State University (Denied; it was free to apply), Boston College

Target: Florida State University, Cardozo Law, University of Illinois, SMU Dedman, Penn State

Safety: University of Miami, Florida International University, (should I apply to another safety?)

I am retaking the LSAT in November, and my PTs have been in the mid 160s. I am hoping to bring it up to the high 160s by the November test.

Right now, the University of Florida is my top choice. I am worried that I should have waited to apply there until I took my November LSAT. I have read conflicting information about what schools do if a future LSAT is scheduled - some wait, others don't. Should I write a letter to UF asking them to wait to evaluate my file until my November LSAT comes back?

Schools I would like to apply to depending on my Nov LSAT score: Fordham University, Emory University, University of Georgia.
Is it advantageous to apply now and ask the schools to wait until my November LSAT comes back to evaluate my file? Or is that the same as just waiting until Nov to apply?

Goals: I want a decent shot at big law; although, I am okay if I don't end up in big law. I am young, single and kid-less so I don't have a lot of ties to any particular area; I'll go wherever the best opportunity is. (although Florida in-state tuition would be nice).

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers a fresh perspective! I have been turning this over in my head quite a lot lately.

Comments

• sk144404sk144404 Core Member
    237 karma

@linImmlaw2021 Hey, first off congrats on getting a 163! I would apply now because you have a good LSAT but your GPA is on the lower end. Not to be a cynic but taking it again and waiting to apply, does not guarantee a better score, but it will guarantee that there are less available spots.

Short of scoring above 170, I do not see any benefit to waiting, and if you were to get a 170+ you should reconsider your reach/target schools anyway.

Goodluck!

• linImmlaw2021linImmlaw2021 Member
    edited September 2020 86 karma

@sk144404 Thanks so much for the input! Do you think I should write UF asking them to wait to evaluate my file? Their median is 164, and they are my first choice, so I'm really nervous.