Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Explanation vids now showing target times?

173orbust173orbust Alum Member
in General 183 karma

For logic game explanation vids they are now showing a computed "target time" instead of the old suggested time bench marks that used to be there. For example, for one game he says in a video that you should aim for under 10 minutes for a game, but my "target time" for that game is 8:38. Is this an update? Before today I had never seen such specific target times under the videos. Also, In the past the time always seemed to line up with what JY said. Is there any way to switch this back?. Also how are these target times calculated?

Comments

• Lsat1750Lsat1750 Member
    43 karma

Yeah I'm having the same issue I think there's some bug going on!! We should try to alert whatever admins if possible

• Theo - Student ServiceTheo - Student Service Member Moderator Student Services
    852 karma

@173orbust said:
    For logic game explanation vids they are now showing a computed "target time" instead of the old suggested time bench marks that used to be there. For example, for one game he says in a video that you should aim for under 10 minutes for a game, but my "target time" for that game is 8:38. Is this an update? Before today I had never seen such specific target times under the videos. Also, In the past the time always seemed to line up with what JY said. Is there any way to switch this back?. Also how are these target times calculated?

Hi there,

No, this is not an update. The system calculates your target time based on collected data from top scorers. However, if the target time is missing on some questions that is because the system doesn’t have enough data yet to generate a “target time”.

Target time for LR is the median duration for students who got the question correct. For LG/RC, it's the median time for students who got -2 or better on the game/passage. The target time for each question is different. Some might be more than what you actually spent and some less.

Please let me know if that helped. I just want to make sure I've fully answered your questions.

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

@"Theo --Student Service--" I was also curious about whether this was some kind of software update. It seems that it takes a ton of data to get to the "target time" metric as I've done basically all of the cc, taken 6 PTs and completed many custom problem sets.

For each PT, I have a spreadsheet of every question I've taken plus their curve score. But as I went back yesterday, I noticed that the curves had changed slightly for many of the questions. Is this an update based on the latest data? I don't understand why the curve would change otherwise. Any insight would be much appreciated!

• 173orbust173orbust Alum Member
    183 karma

@"Theo --Student Service--" said:

@173orbust said:

Hi there,

No, this is not an update. The system calculates your target time based on collected data from top scorers. However, if the target time is missing on some questions that is because the system doesn’t have enough data yet to generate a “target time”.

Target time for LR is the median duration for students who got the question correct. For LG/RC, it's the median time for students who got -2 or better on the game/passage. The target time for each question is different. Some might be more than what you actually spent and some less.

Please let me know if that helped. I just want to make sure I've fully answered your questions.

If it is not an update, something has certainly changed (at least for me). Again, until recently the time under LG explanation vids used to be J.Y's suggested time but now it is the calculated target time. While I could see the calculated target time before by looking at my timing for a particular game, it did not appear directly under the video like it does now.

183 karma

@goforbroke
    Maybe you're onto something. I have done 5 full PTs now as well as the cc and multiple problem sets. Maybe once you have enough data it changes to target times under the vids. I would still like to change it back to J.Y's suggestions if possible though.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello I have a target time now as well (lower left corner), it seems to have just shown up randomly when doing a drilling set/reviewing questions and has not gone away.

183 karma

@kkole444 What do you mean. The weird new target time is now under the videos?

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Yes, the target time for me appears to the bottom left of the videos right above the 'previous' button.

• Theo - Student ServiceTheo - Student Service Member Moderator Student Services
    852 karma

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the delay.

I just found that we implemented the change because the old target times were based on J.Y.'s assessment of the game. Those times may work well for some but don't necessarily track what works well for most. These new target times are straight from Analytics. What you're seeing are the actual times that 7Sagers who got -0 or -1 on the LG section spent. These new target times are far more realistic than the old ones.

320 karma

@"Theo --Student Service--" Makes sense. Thanks for the update!

Any comment on the changed curve scores that I mentioned above?

852 karma

@goforbroke said:
    @"Theo --Student Service--" Makes sense. Thanks for the update!

Any comment on the changed curve scores that I mentioned above?

Hi there,

Sorry I missed that.

We updated all the analytics (curve, difficulty, answer choices, timing) earlier this week. That recalculated the stats using all the data that's been accumulated.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

320 karma

@"Theo --Student Service--" Got it. Thanks!

852 karma

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that if you are looking for the old target times, you can see them listed on this document:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT3nU7Ma55xywKUdqcrT39s3f-ODFNrEwoLX3KdutB8Bf16_fL-b3zqQAq4BwhXCZBHwb7AfYKOkDwr/pubhtml

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any questions!