Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse splitter: should I apply to Georgetown?

logicalpuglogicalpug Member
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 7 karma

I'm taking the LSAT on Saturday. My practice tests have been about 158 so I will be content to be within a point or 2 of that given how anxiety provoking this whole test has been. My UGPA is a 3.94, and I will have completed my masters in forensic psych by May. I know that my score falls well below the 25th percentile for Georgetown and a lot of top schools, but is it still worth applying? Or is it a waste of money? Thanks!

Comments

• logicalpuglogicalpug Member
    7 karma

whole test process*

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I think you should apply. What do you have to lose? E-mail them and ask them for a fee waiver (I know a lot of people who did that) - then it should only cost $35 to apply.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I would strongly consider waiting a cycle. In a perfect world you could boost your score into the 160s, which would give you much better odds. Even if you feel 157-9 is your ceiling, I think your chances would improve as a Sept applicant vs February.

Of course you could always take a shot now with delaying a cycle as a backup option if you don't get into gulc/other top choices

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

With that strong gpa, you are doing yourself a disservice by applying with that score. What was your dianostic? How long have you been studying? What are your career goals?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    With that strong gpa, you are doing yourself a disservice by applying with that score. What was your dianostic? How long have you been studying? What are your career goals?

^

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, I worry that if you apply this cycle you may regret it later, but if you wait then you'll probably be glad you waited because your score is likely to improve with continued LSAT practice.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Like many things in life, you will become more confident and less anxious with extended periods of guided practice

• rqun3737rqun3737 Alum Member
    97 karma

Hi, I think I have the same situation. Don't know if you still received the notification, but did you get it?

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

If you're happy with Georgetown (which you should be, it's an incredible school), you should definitely just apply anyways. I'm a paralegal at a firm and a current associate had similar numbers and got into Georgetown. Not sure how much money she got, but I say it's worth a try.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

If there are schools you want to go to apply this cycle. You won't lose anything but the application fee. You already know it may be a long shot, so don't stress over the results, but apply. If you also have work experience in addition to your grad degree schools may be excited by you enough to over look your LSAT.

I have a friend, no grad degree and a lower GPA I believe, who just finished at GW where are got a little bit of aid even. Wrote an addendum talking about how much she studied and prepared I think she said 8 hours a day for months to improve to 159 from 150.

Know that if you don't make it this cycle it doesn't mean they won't want you next cycle.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    If there are schools you want to go to apply this cycle. You won't lose anything but the application fee. You already know it may be a long shot, so don't stress over the results, but apply. If you also have work experience in addition to your grad degree schools may be excited by you enough to over look your LSAT.

I have a friend, no grad degree and a lower GPA I believe, who just finished at GW where are got a little bit of aid even. Wrote an addendum talking about how much she studied and prepared I think she said 8 hours a day for months to improve to 159 from 150.

Know that if you don't make it this cycle it doesn't mean they won't want you next cycle.

Whoa! I have a low GPA and also applying to GW, I'm writing an addendum about my grades but it never occurred to me to also mention how hard I worked to get my grades up for my last two years of school. That's a good idea.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@kilgoretrout said:

@VerdantZephyr said:

Whoa! I have a low GPA and also applying to GW, I'm writing an addendum about my grades but it never occurred to me to also mention how hard I worked to get my grades up for my last two years of school. That's a good idea.

I was actually talking about an addendum regarding LSAT, I don't know enough to say whether effort should be a primary focus of your GPA addendum or not. I suppose if you can show a very high GPA your last few semesters you could talk about effort and hard work. This would be a separate and more contextualized situation than an LSAT addendum which is just an explanation for poor performance on a single test on a single day. Maybe post about your GPA addendum separately and more knowledgeable people, with more knowledge of your situation, could give better advice. If you're using 7sage consulting services this is decidely something that would be best talked about with them, because they have more experience than any of us.

• 173orbust173orbust Alum Member
    183 karma

retake

• An_SkywalkerAn_Skywalker Member
    160 karma

I'd say wait it out a bit. Keep doing PTs and take the January LSAT. Perhaps you'll be able to lift your scores up in the next couple of months.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited October 2020 905 karma

Hey, look at the date this was originally posted. ... I would GUESS that it no longer applies as a question :p.

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

@hopefulling Wow attention to detail... I'm impressed