Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Submit GRE Scores? 99th percentile Verbal and 41st percentile math

sleepypotatosleepypotato Core Member
edited October 2020 in Law School Admissions 18 karma

I took the GRE last summer when I thought I would be applying to humanities PhD programs, who really don't care about the math section. I did well in the verbal (99th percentile) and okay in the writing (92nd percentile), but didn't study or try at all in the math section and ended up in the 41st percentile. Should I still submit my scores to law schools? The score report doesn't even provide an overall score like the LSAT, just the breakdowns by section, so I'm wondering if they evaluate it the same way? Seems like the relevant sections to success in a legal career are writing and verbal, but I don't know.

I took the October LSAT-Flex and I'm still waiting on my score. If I do well, I might just play it safe and not submit GRE scores at all. Thoughts?

Comments

• yeahniceyeahnice Core Member
    123 karma

I'm pretty sure most schools require that you submit all GRE scores, regardless?

• Lawschool20Lawschool20 Core Member
    23 karma

Hello, I was told that once you have taken the LSAT, that score supersedes the GRE/GMAT. If you've never taken the LSAT then they will assess your application based on your GRE/GMAT score. I would still reach out to the law schools to verify if this rule still applies. Good luck!

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited October 2020 4306 karma

Some schools require you to submit a GRE score if you have taken it in the past 5 years, i.e Harvard. Check the requirements of the schools you are applying to. If the school doesn't require it, I don't see a reason to submit both your GRE and your LSAT if you're happier with your LSAT. If you aren't taking the LSAT and want to apply with your GRE score, I'd still reach out to talk with the schools you're applying to and ask what the typical GRE number looks like.

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

ETS offers a score conversion tool to for law schools and students to use to convert GRE scores to predicted LSAT.( I’m not sure how much schools rely on this as I’m not sure if GRE affects their numbers the same way an LSAT does.) I would use this tool to convert to see how your GRE compares to your LSAT. If the GRE converted score is higher definitely use it and if it’s close I’d consider using it as well because I think you’re right and that law schools care more about verbal than remembering math formulas learned in high school.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

The tool is helpful but i remember attending Cornell's admissions event and the director was like we dont rely on converters for GRE

• RockthistestRockthistest Member
    45 karma

Hey! I did a last minute hail Mary application cycle this past year using my GRE (I hadn't taken the LSAT yet). My understanding is that they definitely care way more about the LSAT if you have one. I also had a very strong verbal and weak math. I was hoping they wouldn't weight the math equally but they do since they both affect their USNews rankings. The ETS converter is NOT used by law schools. They average the percentiles of verbal, quant and writing and compare to their median LSAT scores. So, if your LSAT percentile is better than the average percentile of your GRE sections I would say no reason to submit. If the average of your GRE percentiles is higher then submit.