Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Application of lessons - 7Sage Forum

Application of lessons

Hey everyone, so I have been studying for about a little over a month and a half with 7Sage and I have just come to the decision to start again from scratch. The reason for this is I feel like the lessons, mainly the ones about breaking down words, sentences, phrases and being able to use this to identify what exactly the passages are saying (ex argument labeling, comparative statements, sufficient assumptions, etc.) aren’t clicking for me and I feel like once its time to take the practice quizzes at the end of the lesson I completely forget all that is taught and just read the passages without really using what I had just learned. Anyone have any tips on being able to apply these lessons as I go? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

I think you're making the right decision. There's no point in speeding through the curriculum if you don't retain anything. Personally, I took about 4-5 months to go through the entire cc. My mindset was not to move on to another topic until I really felt like I got everything I could from the lesson. I think because of my approach I also saved a lot of time in not having to go back to the cc as much as I would have had I flown through it.

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2020 4588 karma

I agree with Logician! I think you should take your time to fully absorb all the information you can. I went through the CC twice!

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4312 karma

Agree with above but I noticed you were looking for some tips so I'll chime in!

For the grammar lessons specifically, it'll stick with you more when you use it. Definitely watch how JY rips apart each stimulus to understand the role each phrase is doing. Outside of the lessons in the core curriculum he has two great lessons here; &

When I first started out I wrote down what I needed to do for each question. I referred back to this before, during, and even after reading the stimulus before going into the ACs. After some time of doing this it became second nature and I was able to remember what I needed to do without a "cheat sheet". When you do the quizzes, do them untimed to practice what you just learned. Right now it isn't about completing the questions under timed conditions but rather reinforcing & testing your knowledge. I also found writing down what I just learned helped to reinforce it versus just telling myself okay I get it. Flash cards can be helpful too (learning the 21 common flaws for example).