Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Necessary Assumption Help

Other than the negate and weaken technique, does anyone have any advice or tricks for solving necessary assumption questions? #help

Comments

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

Identify your premises and conclusion and remember identifying your conclusion is critical. Knowing how to separate the conclusion and premises is important because you can make your assumption by understanding those specific parts. Remember you have to make an assumption.

CONCLUSION------------>NECESSARY ASSUMPTION

Whether you are bridging the necessary assumption to the premise(s) and conclusion of the argument you need to know what the conclusion is as well as the premise(s) to bridge or not bridge the gap of the argument. This will help you make your assumption when choosing your necessary assumption choice.

Step 1. Identify premises and conclusion. Lock down what your conclusion is and what the important premise(s) are for the argument.

Step 2. Look at your argument and your choices and say to yourself, "if the conclusion is true, must (assumption choice) be true?"

The correct answer will be one of the choices you pick that either bridges the gap or is proven to be true by the corresponding premise(s) and conclusion. The NA does not have to be one hundred percent true, but the conclusion proves the NA to be true. Usually weaker modality of language, but also, depends on the modality of the language in the argument.

I hope this helps. Send me a message in my inbox if you need more help. You can do it!