Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR wants to see Personal Statement

Hi - One of my letter of rec writers requested to see my personal statement. They asked back in September and I said I would have it by mid-Oct. Now I still don't have it written yet or even a draft. I'm not sure what to tell them, but I also need to cram for the Nov LSAT so I don't think I could get it together soon enough.
Has anyone else been in this position/have a suggestion on what to send them? I was thinking like maybe send potential bullets of what I want my application to round out to? idk

Comments

• SandwichelleSandwichelle Alum Member
    234 karma

Oh, that is tough. I’m sorry they’re asking for you to take that additional
    stressful step. I think the bullet point list would suffice, you could explain that you’re not done and that you’re studying and whatnot. My advice is to get these things over to your recommender ASAP! You want to get those letters in so you can proceed with your app! I had a recommender make an error, so I had to ask them to resubmit and you want to allow time
    for any hiccups! Best of luck!

• listentothewindblowlistentothewindblow Core Member
    127 karma

My recommender also wanted a personal statement but explicitly said to send a draft so that is exactly what I sent. I think you should try to just take a day to pull something together and tell the recommender it's a draft. The main reason I say this is because they are doing you a favor writing the letter, so you should give them their requested materials.

• kesmith820kesmith820 Member
    19 karma

Yep same exact position! Instead of trying to pull something together, I told my recommender that my statement was still in draft form and needed a lot of work and instead sent her 2 things that were likely more helpful than a draft personal statement: 1) 2-4 main points you are trying to get across about yourself in your application, tailored to what your recommender knows about you; 2) a quasi-essay in bullet point form recalling highlights of the time you spent and what you did with your recommender (i.e. "If you remember, I was very torn about my essay topic, and you helped me in this way...")

• kesmith820kesmith820 Member
    19 karma

PS this also helped me brainstorm for my personal statement

• They typically want your PS so they have an idea of what story you are trying to tell the admissions committee, it's for your benefit and really common in my experience. If you are having trouble throwing together a quick draft for them I would give them maybe like a paragraph or two about what you will be writing about with bulleted goals for your essay. Let them know that you are focusing on the LSAT right now and this is what you can give them for now. You can also send them your CV/Resume so they can more to reference.

Also, if there is a specific reason you are asking this person be sure to tell them. For example, one of my professors who wrote my essay I asked him to bring up specific stories and ideas that lined up with other aspects of my application.

Hope this helps!

• cat.casacat.casa Member
    168 karma

thank you guys so much for the helpful comments! just as a update, I ended up sending a not so great draft but hey at least its something lol