Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I talk about religion in PS?

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that I'm done with LSAT now (received a 168. Thank you JY!). Congrats on everyone who took the OCT LSAT and good luck to those writing in NOV!

I really need to write my personal statement, but I keep putting it off because I'm quite lost.
I'd like to talk about my religion because it has been my drive during university and the LSAT. It has helped me through depression and has motivated me to keep going. It taught me to be considerate of other people's needs. It taught me to not stress over small details but to imagine the bigger picture. It also taught me perseverence as I study texts every day (I've never had a daily routine until I started doing this!)
Religion had played a huge part in shaping who I am now, but I am afraid if it might put me at a disadvantage if I'm straightforward with it...
Should I talk about it?

I'd love to hear your opinions :)

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

The admissions deans aren't going to judge you for being religious if that's what you are asking

• Prayfor_mePrayfor_me Alum Member
    119 karma

yes you can, there's an essay in the 55 best Harvard Law School personal statements book and someone tied their religion to why they want to pursue law.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@fruitjam

The bigger issue for me here with this personal statement topic is how does that tie in to you wanting to pursue law? Religion can be a wonderful topic if done correctly for either a PS or DS I would think, but you mentioned here how it gave you routine, a better code of personal ethics, and the ability to overcome depression. None of that tells me how it has led you on your path to be a determined law student or successful lawyer. At least in the way you posed the question here I see a disconnect between that and the essay as an audition for a place in their law school.

• fruitjamfruitjam Member
    70 karma

@VerdantZephyr
    I didn't want to go in-depth here but I definitely will tie it to how it motivated me to pursue law :-)

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@fruitjam Then, as best as I can say without knowing more, writing your essay about religion is acceptable but, like with any mildly taboo or sensitive topic, it must be done well.