Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reschedule Nov LSAT? Help!

goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
in General 320 karma

Hi everyone - I'm scheduled to take the November LSAT but my scores just have not been what I want. I need at least low-170s as my GPA is low, and I'm currently averaging mid-to-high 160s raw and 170s BR. Please help me decide! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are my pros and cons.

Reasons to NOT take test in Nov:
-I'm not applying this cycle so I'm not in a rush to take the test
-Given that my low GPA and my work history isn't something I can work on, the LSAT (and the personal statement) is the only thing I have control over
-I'm fully committed to studying and really believe I can get the score I want

Reasons to take test in Nov:
-It's good to have test-day experience, there's value in having gone through that
-Score preview -- I can always cancel this score
-I signed up for the test, it's always good to follow through on commitments
-A low score isn't the end of the world

Take Nov Test
  1. Should I take test in Nov or push it back to Jan/Feb?81 votes
    1. Just take the damn test
      35.80%
    2. Push it back and get your goal score
      64.20%

Comments

• acquadiiceacquadiice Core Member
    121 karma

if you are committed to studying, keep studying and push it back... nothing is more important than a high lsat score

• PFT CommenterPFT Commenter Core Member
    249 karma

Is this your first time taking? If so, I don't see an issue with taking November and retaking in Jan/Feb. If you've already taken before, you know how it feels on test day, push back until you're scoring above your goal score.

• EmmmmmzEmmmmmz Core Member
    72 karma

Im in a similar boat. But honestly I think its good to take the test and have a test day experience under your belt that you CAN cancel if you need to. If you cancel your test now, I do not think you will be eligible for test preview the next time around.

Also PTs are good practice indicators for how you will preform the day of the test but honestly on test day anything can happen. Just because you scored a 170 + on a pt doesn't mean you are guaranteed or entitled to that the day of the test. And yes scores DO matter but also schools like to see improvement as well. If you take it and don't do well you can take it again and improve showing that you are not complacent. You are motived, persistent, passionate and want it! (just make sure to keep up with your studies so that you can crush it the next time)
    Best of luck!

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

I see no reason you should take it if you aren't applying this cycle and aren't where you want to be. Save the score preview for a more valuable LSAT sitting. I see taking it for the sake of the experience as a better argument if it wasn't a Flex test.

• mwatso89mwatso89 Alum Member
    edited October 2020 34 karma

I am in this exact same spot except that I am applying this round (in Canada). I made the decision to push it back because COVID screwed up my strict studying schedule and November came way faster than I could have imagined. I emailed all schools and was assured that the only impact it has is I will not be considered for early admittance, which I doubted I would get anyways. I am also applying access so I really need to ensure that my LSAT score shines.

It is not a race! Do what makes you feel comfortable and the most secure.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@mwatso89 said:
    I am in this exact same spot except that I am applying this round (in Canada). I made the decision to push it back because COVID screwed up my strict studying schedule and November came way faster than I could have imagined. I emailed all schools and was assured that the only impact it has is I will not be considered for early admittance, which I doubted I would get anyways. I am also applying access so I really need to ensure that my LSAT score shines.

It is not a race! Do what makes you feel comfortable and the most secure.

Are you applying to McGill? The last administration they take is November. I'm signed up for November but will likely need to push it back to January, so that kind of takes me out of the running for McGill. Good to know it won't be a huge impact on my application to other schools though.

• mwatso89mwatso89 Alum Member
    34 karma

@kilgoretrout I am not applying to McGill! I am applying to Western, Windsor, Ryerson, Lakehead, Ottawa and Queens. I just received a lovely email back from the law admissions committee from Western saying that it is more than alright and that many students do it, as the vast majority of their acceptances go out in march-April.

Hope this helps and good luck!!! We are all in this together

• 1952 karma

if you're not applying this cycle and if you can keep studying until jan, i think it'd be better to take it in jan when you feel ready.
    schools do see all of your scores, and this is still going to count towards your lsat testing limit, too. but more importantly, why not save the score preview? the score preview will give you a great peace of mind while taking an exam. good luck!!

• Cas ScamanCas Scaman Core Member
    34 karma

I'm pretty much in the same spot as you but I've decided to go for it and then just take it again if I have to. I've decided that I'd rather get through any first-real-test jitters when I'm also not at the score I'd like than experience that later.

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    edited October 2020 320 karma

Wow thank you so much everyone! As of now, it's tied. But I really appreciate everyone's comments and feedback!

I guess the one thing about taking the test and getting a lower score than I want is that it can be demoralizing, even if I was expecting the lower score. I'm still torn, but you guys gave me some good points to think about.

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

You lose no money if you push the exam back before Oct 30. I think it's a good idea to push it back, be extremely ready for it and go in with your best chances.

• jordandomenechjordandomenech Core Member
    10 karma

Well I just decided to push mine back. If you are going to reschedule, make that choice soon as a fee to reschedule --$125 -- will be applied if you don't reschedule by the 30th.

320 karma

@WouldRatherBeEating said:
    You lose no money if you push the exam back before Oct 30. I think it's a good idea to push it back, be extremely ready for it and go in with your best chances.

Yes forgot the consider the money part of it!

320 karma

@jordandomenech said:
    Well I just decided to push mine back. If you are going to reschedule, make that choice soon as a fee to reschedule --$125 -- will be applied if you don't reschedule by the 30th.

Yes I'm leaning towards pushing it back. Can I ask what specific reasons you had for pushing back the date?

• sushilover930sushilover930 Core Member
    76 karma

I'm in the same boat but really wanted to apply this cycle, so I'll do November and January both. I'm applying to UBC (Canada) and the last LSAT they accept is January, so I'm a bit worried but also hopeful that this will not disadvantage me severely :(

320 karma

So much input! Thank you everyone who voted! I have decided to push back my test date to February. Would do January but work gets pretty busy in December, and I don't want to stress about diminished study time.

In the meantime, I'll see you around the forum!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2020 8318 karma

@goforbroke said:
    I need at least low-170s.
    I'm currently averaging mid-to-high 160s
    I'm not applying this cycle so I'm not in a rush to take the test.

This screams "push it back" to me. I really don't see a reason to take the test when you're not ready... this from someone who has done exactly that. Especially since tests are counting toward retake limits again.

I'll argue against your "take the damn test" justifications:

-It's good to have test-day experience, there's value in having gone through that

Take a PT on lawhub using the same equipment, venue and schedule. Yes not exactly the same, but if you got your average score right now... maybe an expected -3 test day penalty, would you still be glad you got to experience the "real thing"?

-Score preview -- I can always cancel this score

Wouldn't you rather use it when you're PT'ing in your range, instead of now when your less likely to hit your target? IIRC score preview cancellations still show as a cancel.

-I signed up for the test, it's always good to follow through on commitments

Your commitment is to get a good score to facilitate best employment outcomes. Part of that is taking the test when you're ready. In my opinion part of that is also not taking the test when you're not.

-A low score isn't the end of the world

Very true, but it is not ideal. While we know high score matters, there will always be some subjective negative evaluation of a lower score. You might also argue that your reviewer could see persistence to increase your score from a lower one, or persevere after a cancel, as a positive. This is valid, but we also know that there is just some residual negativity surrounding multiple takes however unjustified it might be. Enough to matter? I don't know, but I think I could comfortably say I'd rather have one banging score than the same score with either a cancel or a second lower one. There's just an appeal to that, which depending on your reviewer... especially at schools which use faculty review, might move the needle a bit.

I can see wanting to take the chance and maybe eek out a killer score to apply this cycle before it's late... but if you're not even applying this cycle, I really don't see the point.

Good luck whatever you choose. It's a rough decision no matter what. I'm signed up for November but plan on waiting until just prior to decide because I feel like I'm close. If I'm not scoring where I should, I'll just eat the fee and switch to January.

• yeasm22syeasm22s Member
    217 karma

I am in the exactly same position, scoring in the mid-160s, gpa not bad but not great either, also I am getting a masters+working. I just changed the test date from nov to jan because i need higher score and wouldnt apply this cycle anyway (especially with a low score). I also felt that I can use december break for focused study. If you are not applying this cycle it might make more sense to delay and keep studying for the jan test.

320 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Good luck whatever you choose. It's a rough decision no matter what. I'm signed up for November but plan on waiting until just prior to decide because I feel like I'm close. If I'm not scoring where I should, I'll just eat the fee and switch to January.

Wow thank you so much for this! Yeah I think I really needed someone to push back on my reasons FOR taking the test, and you were the little devil's advocate on my shoulder. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and your experience.

320 karma

@yeasm22s said:
    I am in the exactly same position, scoring in the mid-160s, gpa not bad but not great either, also I am getting a masters+working. I just changed the test date from nov to jan because i need higher score and wouldnt apply this cycle anyway (especially with a low score). I also felt that I can use december break for focused study. If you are not applying this cycle it might make more sense to delay and keep studying for the jan test.

Yes I changed my date. Good luck with the focused studying in December!

• cpeaks13cpeaks13 Core Member
    496 karma

@sushilover930 im in the same boat, but applying for UVIC