Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fresh Non-law College Graduate to Elite Law Schools

just888justjust888just Free Trial Member

What’s up 7sage community! I’m currently an undergraduate student in engineering at an Asian country who wants to go to an elite law school (Harvard, Columbia, etc.). In this stage of my life, I find myself struggling with the thought of applying to these law schools very soon as the months grow nearer, so I was wondering if anyone who came from an undergraduate degree that is completely unrelated to law got into any of the top schools, or if getting an LSAT in the 170s along with strong extracurriculars would suffice? Can anyone share some advice on how I would be able to achieve my goal of becoming a law student in a good school?

Comments

• 1058 karma

I don't have the same background as you since my undergrad was in liberal arts. But my work experience is in technology and I have read about how law schools want more students with STEM type of backgrounds. So I would say that an engineering degree is a good thing to have when you apply to law school, especially if you want to practice patent law or something similar. Good luck!

• GTFOHLSATGTFOHLSAT Member
    edited October 2020 76 karma

Are you striving to be elite?

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@just888just said:

So I would say relax about it. Being STEM is a great way to get into law. Law schools are looking for a diverse set of people, opinions, and academic backgrounds. With that said, foreign educated applicants do typically underperform compared to American educated applicants, but the reason is not necessarily because you are foreign. A common theory is that is probably has a lot more to do with applicants who are second language speakers/non-English educated writing personal statements and applications and the LSAT writing in a language they have never before used for that kind of writing. Writing is also a cultural exercise, conventions about how to structure arguments are based on culturally normative forms, same with the essays themselves, so don't take that as an indication that you are inherently disadvantaged at elite law schools by being foreign, but make sure you have a solid set of essays.

I think, all other things being equal, many admissions officers would be overjoyed to have an applicant from an international background with a STEM degree and a 170+ LSAT. Do you have any specific concerns like your GPA not being reportable by LSAC or something like that? If not, don't stress, just knock your essays and LSAT out of the park and the T14 is absolutely an option.