Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mentors For "Non Traditional" Prospective Law Students

smartaone2smartaone2 Alum Member
in General 512 karma

Hello 7Sage Community! As a non traditional prospective law school student who has been out of school for awhile (94) and thinks this is a necessity, I would love to find a mentor to walk with me, share their advice and experience with applying to law school and attending law school. I truly believe having a mentor in the area that you are pursuing your dream/passion is vital. I am new to Houston TX, so I'm not sure what avenues are available to seek out this information. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas and/or suggestions on how to find a mentor. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I completely agree; this is a great idea. I am also a NTS and found my mentor through Linked In. It took a couple tries reaching out to different people - not everyone has the bandwidth to engage- but I recently found someone who went to my goal school and is working in the area I desire to work in who was completely open to answering any and all of my questions. My hope is to build a strong enough relationship that I can possibly use her as a reference if I need to in the future. That being said, LinkedIn might be worth giving a try.

• smartaone2smartaone2 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 512 karma

@tringo335 That's great you have found someone to mentor you and I think that's a great idea to try LinkedIn. I will give it a shot. May I ask how you went about finding this individual? Did you search for persons that went to your goal school or search for those who work in the are you too desire to work in?

• lizpillizpil Member
    282 karma

Following this thread! I'm a NTS as well.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Wanted to say hi to other NTSs and I want to reach out to people in the law field as well, but I feel a little shy about sending messages to people. Were they in your contacts' networks on LinkedIn? How do you hear about them? Thanks!

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

Oddly enough I found people to speak with through the folks at my job! One Dr. that I work with has a sister who's a judge etc. Simply let people know what you're interested in and they'll definitely try to help. That's been my experience. If people are unaware of your goals then how can they help you? That's my motto.

I even met someone who goes to NYU and simply said, "Do you need someone to talk to? Here's my number" haha. Voice your intentions.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    Oddly enough I found people to speak with through the folks at my job! One Dr. that I work with has a sister who's a judge etc. Simply let people know what you're interested in and they'll definitely try to help. That's been my experience. If people are unaware of your goals then how can they help you? That's my motto.

I even met someone who goes to NYU and simply said, "Do you need someone to talk to? Here's my number" haha. Voice your intentions.

Same as @CurlyQQQ . I've found a TON of people at my job to help me with advice on the law school journey. The best way is just to reach out and network with people! Put yourself out there and make your goals clear. FB, Instagram, and linkedin are also great tools for networing when used correctly.

512 karma

@CurlyQQQ @"Alex Divine" I will definitely use your ideas and see how it goes. Thanks all for your responses and advice!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@smartaone2 said:
    @CurlyQQQ @"Alex Divine" I will definitely use your ideas and see how it goes. Thanks all for your responses and advice!

Do you live in a major city by any chance?

If so, there are usually some great events where you can meet wonderful professionals who are often very helpful.

edited November 2017 512 karma

@"Alex Divine" Yes. I just moved to Houston TX this summer and attended the LSAC law forum. I got a couple of contact cards from two of the schools I want to attend here and have reached out to one of them. I will be contacting the other and maybe they can provide some direction.

That's a good idea as well to look for events in the city. Houston has plenty lol. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@smartaone2 said:
    @"Alex Divine" Yes. I just moved to Houston TX this summer and attended the LSAC law forum. I got a couple of contact cards from two of the schools I want to attend here and have reached out to one of them. I will be contacting the other and maybe they can provide some direction.

That's a good idea as well to look for events in the city. Houston has plenty lol. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Of course! That's exactly what I did. I would find bars that law associates frequented and sometimes just talk to people randomly over a drink or while they were outside smoking a cigarette. Obviously I didn't ask them to help me with anything right away, but I made a few very helpful acquaintances this way. If you can offer them something depending on your line of work, the relationship can be mutually helpful.

Good luck :)

• Sammie215Sammie215 Member
    202 karma

I connected with current/former lawyers through my undergrad alumni database and they were all super nice and excited to help a fellow alum! If your undergrad institution has a presence in Houston I would try that out!

512 karma

@Sammie215 said:
    I connected with current/former lawyers through my undergrad alumni database and they were all super nice and excited to help a fellow alum! If your undergrad institution has a presence in Houston I would try that out!

Thanks @Sammie215! Another good idea! Sometimes it helps to get other's ideas and advice that you may not have considered.

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate it!

5249 karma

My undergrad has a website like that as well, but I get cold feet despite knowing I'm going to be glad I asked them. This is helping to build courage, so thanks for sharing your ideas.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@smartaone2 said:
    @tringo335 That's great you have found someone to mentor you and I think that's a great idea to try LinkedIn. I will give it a shot. May I ask how you went about finding this individual? Did you search for persons that went to your goal school or search for those who work in the are you too desire to work in?

I searched for people who went to my goal school and started from there.

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    298 karma

I graduated in '94 also! Hey, fellow NTS :)

• 193 karma

I got certified as a Paralegal, and I met a lot of lawyers/judges and other Paralegals that were in their mid-40s who have been overwhelming helpful. If you have a community college that offers a certificate program, it could be a good start. My certificate was very affordable, and gave me a good intro into the Law field with background as well. You also didn't have to do an entire program. You could take just specific courses since it was offered through continuing education.

5249 karma

That's really good.

• CoffeeBeansCoffeeBeans Member
    81 karma

I am from Houston, but living in Chicago now. What kind of law are you interested in?

Also a NTS, and I'm looking to find a mentor in Chicago, esp someone who has attended Northwestern or Univ of Chicago, with a husband and young kids in tow.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Hi all--just wondering what questions would be helpful to ask a potential mentor? Things like which school to go to, what field of law to go into/field of law that is best suited for you, and what region to practice in? I sometimes wonder if those are best determined by myself and not by others who I'm not that close to. I have plenty of people to ask but sometimes the hard part is figuring out what to ask.

512 karma

@tringo335 said:

@smartaone2 said:

I searched for people who went to my goal school and started from there.

Thank you!

512 karma

@DawnHenry said:
    I graduated in '94 also! Hey, fellow NTS :)

And Hello to you too class of '94! :)

512 karma

@catgonzalez1974 said:
    I got certified as a Paralegal, and I met a lot of lawyers/judges and other Paralegals that were in their mid-40s who have been overwhelming helpful. If you have a community college that offers a certificate program, it could be a good start. My certificate was very affordable, and gave me a good intro into the Law field with background as well. You also didn't have to do an entire program. You could take just specific courses since it was offered through continuing education.

I am a certified paralegal. I worked as a paralegal for over 13 years but my contacts are in my home city and unfortunately they do not have any contacts where I am currently in Houston.I just moved here this summer. But that is a thought to reach out to other paralegals in this area probably via LinkedIn as @tringo335 mentioned and connect. Thanks! :)

512 karma

@CoffeeBeans said:
    I am from Houston, but living in Chicago now. What kind of law are you interested in?

Also a NTS, and I'm looking to find a mentor in Chicago, esp someone who has attended Northwestern or Univ of Chicago, with a husband and young kids in tow.

Oh wow! I just moved from the Chi to Houston this summer. I miss Chicago! I want to work as a Federal Prosecutor (AUSA) with the USAO. I worked there a few years as a civil paralegal in my home state and absolutely loved it. So if I could connect with someone in the USAO here in Houston to mentor me, that would be awesome.

I hope you are enjoying the Chi and the break in "humidity" lol.

512 karma

@btownsquee said:
    Hi all--just wondering what questions would be helpful to ask a potential mentor? Things like which school to go to, what field of law to go into/field of law that is best suited for you, and what region to practice in? I sometimes wonder if those are best determined by myself and not by others who I'm not that close to. I have plenty of people to ask but sometimes the hard part is figuring out what to ask.

I think this is a great question and may vary with each individual based on his/her needs. I believe those are good questions to ask a mentor, but also knowing what area of law you want to practice and which law school you want to attend may steer your questions as well. I came across this website and thought it was helpful information on what a mentor does. I hope this helps!

https://www.mentorcity.com/en/what-does-a-mentor-do

• hhhiser_06hhhiser_06 Alum Member
    46 karma

@smartaone2, I too am a NTS. The lawyers I work with are very helpful in discussing legal careers and expectations so I have a built in mentor network. But also, I attend professional conferences with an eye towards making new connections. Additionally, I use my professional network to discuss my career goals and to help identify possible contacts. My professional network has even helped with introductions with lawyers in my field of interest. Reach out to your network of associates and become active in professional organizations within your city and region. I think it is important to identify what the current job market is really looking for in newly minted attorneys. I am sure a mentor can help you craft a message that emphasizes how your current professional experience enhances employer's expectations and may even help guide you on what things/classes/activities you should purse to ensure you are more marketable. Good luck!

5249 karma

What are some sample subject lines for these first messages? Thanks again!

• jbodnovichjbodnovich Free Trial Member
    17 karma

I am a NTS also. I was also a NTS when it came to my current profession by getting a second degree BSN. I have always wanted to be a lawyer though ever since my first bachelors. I would love to meld my work in nursing with mental health patients, experience working in corrections as and find an area of law to practice from there. I was thinking working with mental health court, Veterans or even be a prosecutor. Fortunately and unfortunately you learn a lot working in a county jail. I am grateful for my experience.

• akulochkaakulochka Member
    12 karma

Just wanted to say hi to the other NTSs! Does anyone want to be LSAT study buddies? :D

5249 karma

@akulochka, Where are you in the study process? Looking forward to talking soon.

512 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    @akulochka, Where are you in the study process? Looking forward to talking soon.

Hello! Yes, @akulochka. I think that would be great. Please let me know as well where you are in the study process.

5249 karma

@smartaone2, @akulochka Thanks for the replies. Definitely wanting to discuss.

• akulochkaakulochka Member
    12 karma

@smartaone2 , @lsatplaylist , just PMd you both - sorry about the late reply!!