Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Exisential Quantifiers. Should I skip this section?

alcanadyalcanady Core Member

Feeling quiet overwhelmed. I am preparing for the January and Feb LSAT and I cannot for the life of me understand exisential quantifiers and sections after that. I feel like I can't move on without understanding those sections but time is also dwindling down. Should I skip this section for now and work on the LG and RC portion of my syllabus and then revisit?

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

If you're aiming for January I wouldn't spend any time on RC because well... its a bad investment based on the tradeoff (RC is usually the hardest section to improve). You're quickest gains will come in LR and LG. Circling back to your question question, you can skip over it now but be sure to come back to it and gain a proper understanding as it is a pivotal component for success in LR.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited November 2020 905 karma

NO!! You're going to need to understand existential quantifiers before going into the logic games! Some and Most are important for those deductive inferences that games are testing (as are the universal quantifiers). I would spend the time on it NOW and then consider moving into LG. (Although, since JAN and FEB are Flex tests, I would finish the LR curriculum first ... you might not finish the LG curriculum and also be able to foolproof to get to a more comfortable '0' score in 1-2 months anyways.) ... You want to also be able to snag those low-hanging easier LR questions and not miss an 'easy' question because you skipped that section.

Also, understand that without a strong foundation of logic, you're entire score is likely to be mediocre. Maybe even consider postponing? ... Or at least to grab up a refund for one of your scheduled tests and maybe reschedule for April at the latest for the other test (or get another refund).

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited November 2020 905 karma

This may or may not help, but the Powerscore LR bible explains some and most well and might be a worthwhile aid to help you understand from a different angle. And/or even the Loophole in LR has a chapter on it as well that might offer additional help. She explains things in really straightforward way. Good luck! :)

Powerscore is really detailed, so it might actually be confusing if it doesn't click. But, that level of detail might also help it click ???

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

I wouldn’t skip it as it is a pretty important foundational concept. You could likely benefit from a different approach/set of materials. Maybe just a short break.

What exactly are you stuck on? Maybe one of us can help. If you want I’d be happy to go over it with you.

• alcanadyalcanady Core Member
    15 karma

@canihazJD said:
    I wouldn’t skip it as it is a pretty important foundational concept. You could likely benefit from a different approach/set of materials. Maybe just a short break.

What exactly are you stuck on? Maybe one of us can help. If you want I’d be happy to go over it with you.

Existential quantifiers and everything after that.... literally.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2020 2464 karma

@hopefulling said:
    NO!! You're going to need to understand existential quantifiers before going into the logic games! Some and Most are important for those deductive inferences that games are testing (as are the universal quantifiers). I would spend the time on it NOW and then consider moving into LG. (Although, since JAN and FEB are Flex tests, I would finish the LR curriculum first ... you might not finish the LG curriculum and also be able to foolproof to get to a more comfortable '0' score in 1-2 months anyways.) ... You want to also be able to snag those low-hanging easier LR questions and not miss an 'easy' question because you skipped that section.

Also, understand that without a strong foundation of logic, you're entire score is likely to be mediocre. Maybe even consider postponing? ... Or at least to grab up a refund for one of your scheduled tests and maybe reschedule for April at the latest for the other test (or get another refund).

Could you elaborate on what LG's require knowledge of existential quantifiers? I don't believe knowing existential quantifiers are necessary for LG whatsoever- Just mainly for LR and a little in RC.

• 1952 karma

i think powerscore themselves said in their lr book somewhere that this is something that you can skip if you're running out of time and need to get the low-hanging fruits. i would skip and come back to it. with more practice in other areas of logic, it might be helpful if you return to it later.
    good luck!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@Logician said:

@hopefulling said:

Could you elaborate on what LG's require knowledge of existential quantifiers? I don't believe knowing existential quantifiers are necessary for LG whatsoever- Just mainly for LR and a little in RC.

I agree. Id strike a happy medium watch the videos at the least. But i dont believe you need existential quantifiers for LG

LR there might be 1-2 questions a section

Same with RC

Just make sure you know what some most many means. Watching the videos should take like 20 minutes tops