Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Benefit to doing LSAT writing sample again?

AKReichertAKReichert Member
in General 100 karma

I've taken the LSAT-flex twice. I already have one recent writing sample on file and I'm happy with it.

Still, is there any benefit to completing a second? Does anyone know if schools, on average, have a preference for one or more samples?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

You just need one, and in my experience, volume doesn't inherently add value. If you think you can improve on it, by all means do so. If you think what you have is representative of your best effort, leave it.

• edited November 2020 1952 karma

i called lsac about having multiple samples on file several months ago.
    i've been told that you won't be sending multiple writing samples even if you complete more than one, and you will not get to choose which one to send.

lsac will replace your old one(s) that you completed with the most recent one that you take, and will only going to be sending that one to your schools.

but things might have changed though. i'd call to confirm.

to answer whether you should retake: if you're happy with your writing sample, i wouldn't worry about it.

• AKReichertAKReichert Member
    100 karma

@"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" said:
    i called lsac about having multiple samples on file several months ago.
    i'd been told that you won't be sending multiple writing samples even if you complete more than one, and you will not get to choose which one to send.

lsac will replace your old one(s) that you completed with the most recent one that you take, and will only going to be sending that one to your schools.

but things might have changed though. (for one, you can no longer purchase lsat writing as a standalone). i'd call to confirm.

to answer whether you should retake: if you're happy with your writing sample, i wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for sharing your recent research into this issue. Since I'm happy with my current writing sample, I'm going to leave as-is and not do a second sample. :smile:

• 1952 karma

@AKReichert
    of course! good luck!

• AKReichertAKReichert Member
    100 karma

Update: I ended up speaking with the LSAC folks to discuss some unrelated issues and the writing sample came up. They said they provides schools with the two most recent samples.

• 1952 karma

oh, so they're now sending the two most recent samples, not one! interesting. thanks for the update!