Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hopeless in LG

vgeorgiou15vgeorgiou15 Free Trial Member

Long story short, I've taken the LSAT 3 times. Please I don't want to hear, "well if it hasn't worked yet then you're not meant to go to law school." I took the test in October and I was not on my A game.That's not what I'm asking. It's my dream and I'm giving it one more go. I'm so hopeless with LG. Doesn't matter how many explanations or charts I see I'm stuck in the same spot I have been for 5 years. I've accepted that LG and I will never happen. I'm trying one more time for the test in April. I spent almost a month from the beginning of November to now just focused on LG and I have squat. Now I don't need a score in the 160s or 170s to go the schools I want, I'll settle for anything in the 150s. I'm starting to think of methods how I can still achieve this. Would it be smart that if in around another month I still haven't made progress in LG to focus on getting more points in LR and RC? Because since the flex test is around 74-78 questions, based on a score calculator, I would need to get about 40 right to be in the 150s. I'm open to any kind and respectful advice. Good luck to everyone.

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited December 2020 4306 karma

Hey @vgeorgiou15 , first step I learned the hard way was to not put myself down and have belief in myself. Once you get over that hurdle, things change. I really want to help you out and pull you out of this self deprecation and show you that you have the ability to achieve what you put your mind to. I'll PM you so we can talk more on there!

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

Trust me you are not alone. Especially with daily life + Lsat it's hard to do the drilling necessary to see drastic improvement. All you can do is foolproof or try to do 2/3rds of the games in the question bank. It takes a long time so it's frustrating but from what I see thats the only way. Heavy repetition is the game for this test. I've been studying on and off since 2016 (Full time school & part time work 90% of that time). Barely hit 150s this year started 135 in 2016.

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

I do think switching to LR or RC is a good idea. Give your brain something new. All LSAT sections are interrelated so you're not necessarily neglecting RC. Also, you may want to try a different resource (if you're only using 7Sage), see if something like Manhattan Prep or the Powerscore bibles helps.

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

You can absolutely learn this test and especially LG! It is well known that most students improve LG before the two other sections and for some, it takes a little bit longer, but in my opinion that is ok. Honestly, what it comes down to, is taking the time to let the information soak in your brain housing with a lot of practice. If you have to go through the core curriculum as much as you need to. In due time, you will start getting those inferences and deductions. For me, at first LG was my weakest section and now it has gotten to be my best at times. You really just need to keep practicing and don’t give up. If you are stressing because you have a time line to achieve and a goal to reach, that is understandable. However, remember that it is ok if you change your plans and take a little longer to study and get the points you want. I think the biggest problem with studying for the LSAT is some students tend to feel that if you aren’t getting the information right away, that you aren’t meant to go to law school, and I don’t think that is the case. It is a skill, and a skill that you can totally achieve. Keep practicing. Take one day at a time. Go through the games in practice sections and if you don’t understand that game, watch JY’s explanations until you get the game. The goal is to remember how to map out inferences and deductions, as well as make scenario game boards when possible because the games even though a bit different here and there, come up over and over. Figure out what issues you are having whether it is ordering, grouping, etc. Remember your “Why” as in why are you putting yourself though such rigorous studies and stay focused on your goal. You can do it, keep going!

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed” -Theodore Roosevelt

• wilsonnnwilsonnn Member
    65 karma

I agree with much of what has already been said. Maybe you can focus on smaller issues, for example, rather than looking at all of LR, look at a specific question type. Then take one of that question type and really analyze it. What is it saying? Where is the flaw/missing piece of the argument? What makes the right answer right and all the others wrong, see if you can put it into your own words. I find that if I can really understand just a single question, it gives me a better chance at other ones. I know you're on a schedule and thinking about the big picture, but small steps to set yourself up for bigger gains can help a ton.
    You can do this, keep going and remember to celebrate the small wins!

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    edited December 2020 990 karma

You sound like how I did few months ago. LG is learnable as demonic as it may seem. I actually ended up getting a tutor because I just did not understand online explanations. She charges $32 an hour. I can give you her information if you’d like. Don’t give up! You’ve to try to get as many points in each section as possible. You can do this.

• autumnmayburyautumnmaybury Core Member
    27 karma

I am in the same exact boat as you.. If you ever want to chat, my email is autumnmaybury00@gmail.com or Autumn Lindsey on facebook.

• jennyma2224jennyma2224 Member
    45 karma

I really think you should get a tutor or take a class if at all economically feasible. LG is learnable, trust me!! Don't be discouraged. It's the method that you're using that's the problem, not your inherent capability of learning it. Having someone teach you it will open your eyes and give you new ways of thinking about it.

It may seem like a lot of $ in the short run, but in the long run, that investment will 100% be worth it when you improve and get into a better law school, which in turn will help you be able to practice what type of law you want to practice or at least not drastically limit you. OR, an increased score will help you get a better scholarship package, so the short-term $ will be worth it.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

LG was really difficult initially for me as well. When I started going through tests 1-35 ( where all the old/miscellaneous games are) I often felt like crying and giving up and that I was just never going to get what was supposed to be the most "learnable" section of the test.
    Based on your score and desired score it might be realistic for you to only attempt three games but to do them well ( accuracy is key with this method) and then for the 4th game just try to do the acceptable situation question if you have time.
    As far as LG, have you been through the CC on 7Sage? Have you done any foolproofing? I would be happy to try to help you.

• Kaluza - Klein TheoryKaluza - Klein Theory Core Member
    105 karma

Hi I also took this test 3 three times and was demoralized by my scores. I have a vision to go to law school and use it as a stepping stone towards my utlitmate goal. Keep going regardless of how frustrated you are as this will lead to the next stage of your metamorphsis. Its a part of the process just continue to give your all and ask yourself
    How badly do I want this and what would I sacrifice to get it ?

I know you may not want a high score in the 160 or 170 but keep drilling take a day meditate and self evaluate then return on do it again in a day or so. I believe in you and I am certain you will far suprass your limits.

Regards,
    Hugo Espinoza