Best Lawgeek Movies/Shows

nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
edited May 2015 in General 7965 karma
Just started binge-watching The Good Wife.

What are your go-to "I want to go to there" lawgeek movies/shows?

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    "Hi! I'm Elle Woods and this is Bruiser Woods... and we're both Gemini vegetarians"
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    some text

Suits.

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @brna0714 Ok I have *tried* to get into Suits but jumped into whatever season is currently On Demand—am I missing something? Do I need to start from the beginning? Also I am *so* over NYC *blah*
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah Would it be wrong to watch LB all the time? What about the sequels? Worth it?
    3545 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I am not ashamed to admit that I have an OBSESSION with LB nor am I ashamed to admit that one of life goals is to be able to say, "What, like it's hard?" re: getting into HLS (I'm also with you on Suits -- couldn't get into it even when I did watch a couple seasons).

So I know this isn't law related but since you're PI, I really think you should watch Parks and Rec, if you haven't already. Leslie Knope is legit my spirit animal and she makes me want to be a better person. Besides, I'm a sucker for political jokes :)
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    some text

Ok. I'll stop overusing gif's. I just learned how and I'm super pumped about it. Not everyone likes Suits, I enjoy it. I think season 1 is on Amazon Prime if you have that. It's totally unrealistic but hilarious IMO.
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah I have seen every episode and "some have said" I am a Leslie Knope type (except I am in no way a feminist and I describe myself as a Ted Cruz Republican ;) ).

Can we talk about Lucy Lawless as Ron's wife ... Maybe I should start cycling in some Xena episodes ...
    7965 karma
    There is no such thing as gif overuse @brna0714 ... Unless it crashes 7aage. In that case @"Dillon A. Wright" would have to rescue us.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @blah170blah Totally agree. Legally Blonde, all day, every day. I'm a Capricorn vegan with (perhaps too many) cats. Same thing, right? I don't have a life plan other than becoming Elle Woods... I need this to happen.
    3545 karma
    OMG THAT MOMENT WAS AMAZING!! I died when they got married and she said, "Diane Tammy Lewis... Just kidding it's Elizabeth." Freaking bad ass
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Legally Blonde,To Kill A Mockingbird,12 Angry Men, Chicago, A few Good Men... Ahhh there's more but I cannot remember them.

As for shows I would say Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder haha
    3462 karma
    I'm also hooked on Orange is the New Black.. it's a Netflix series and it's awesome! Check it out if you have time!
    3545 karma
    OMG Orange is the New Black... and To Kill A Mockingbird (Gregory Peck <3)
    3545 karma
    I WISH WE COULD HAVE A NETFLIX MOVIE/TV SHOW MARATHON
    3462 karma
    @blah170blah it only took me 3 days to watch season 2 :/ a year later and I'm STILL waiting for season 3 smh lol
    3462 karma
    Also forgot... Central Park Five & Inherit the Wind
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    The Verdict, Anatomy of a Murder, Adam’s Rib, The Lincoln Lawyer, and The Firm. To name a few.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    edited May 2015 578 karma
    Never got into Suits (I felt like it was too soap opera-y).
    I love Damages, but my absolute favorite is Better Call Saul.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    Does anyone here watch How to Get Away with Murder? People keep telling me to watch it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah said:
    I'm a sucker for political jokes :)
    Have you seen Veep ???
    7965 karma
    @mes08 said:
    I love Damages, but my absolute favorite is Better Call Saul.
    **TWIN**

Better Call Saul might be one of the best (if not the best) legal shows of the 2000's (if not ever).
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    The Verdict, Anatomy of a Murder, Adam’s Rib, The Lincoln Lawyer, and The Firm.
    Yaaaaas .... Only one I've seen is The Firm but will add the others to my list.
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah said:
    I died when they got married and she said, "Diane Tammy Lewis... Just kidding it's Elizabeth."
    You know these 2 are married IRL, right ?!!
    3545 karma
    @nicole.hopkins NOOO but people keep telling me I should. I started watching West Wing but I realized I paid way too much attention to Rob Lowe's face and not enough on my logic game LOL. And yes, I was ECSTATIC when I found out that Nick Offerman and Megan Mullaly (sp?) are married in real life. It makes their moments together on screen that much more magical. Also, is the Good Wife the one with Logan from Gilmore Girls? Because if so, I may have to start watching that...
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited May 2015 12637 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    There is no such thing as gif overuse @brna0714 ... Unless it crashes 7aage. In that case @"Dillon A. Wright" would have to rescue us.
    @blah170blah said:
    Orange is the New Black
    One of my faves.
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah you MUST Veep. Most cleverly written show on TV and many antics ensue. Great ensemble cast. West Wing is another of my seen-every-episode shows. I used to be a Rob Lowe-type (also we share alma mater) ... Was a Dep Comm Dir. So that was pretty cool to see a similar role in an executive branch context.

But making CJ COS ... That would never happen. Press Secs don't have the guts of a COS, especially for POTUS. So that was a jump the shark moment IMO.
    7965 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" i KNEW you blew galaxies out of your mouth .. Supernovae, whatever that magic was ...
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I was getting super worried when I read half of the posts here and still hadn't seen Better Call Saul, glad it got its due. I love Veep and I really need to watch more of it. I feel like it's the closest thing to the original Arrested Development in depth, quality and timing, even more than the Netflix reboot of AD.

I haven't watched it since I was a kid but I remember Night Court being a pretty ridiculous show... not sure where to find it these days and I'm too lazy to look at the moment hahah...

As far as movies go, for my money you can't beat My Cousin Vinny when it comes to courtroom hilarity... if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it...
  • Marie4lawschoolMarie4lawschool Alum Member
    359 karma
    @VegMeg55 Yes, I watch How to Get Away with Murder and really got into it though it becomes progressively disturbing - I'll just say "unethical practices" so as not to give the story line away! Hope you find time to watch it.
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    disappointed at the lack of nelson and murdoch llp
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    275 karma
    So many movies and shows to catch up on! Personally, my go-to law movie has always been "Philadelphia" with Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks. It's pretty heavy, but never stops to inspire and motivate.
  • sarahfatima28sarahfatima28 Alum Member
    320 karma
    Glad to have found this thread. I was about to make my own on the same. Never really hit it off with suits. I liked Silk BBC drama series (haven't finished it;seen bits and pieces of it from season 1 and 3) It's a little more realistic than suits. I watch it once in a blue moon when i feel less motivated to study.

Anyone else know about something different? A little realistic?

At times i listen to SCOTUS hearings to get the real feel. Other times i see court proceedings on youtube. It helps.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Nobody said Scandal. The title says it all.
    320 karma
    Think @emli1000 did mention scandal.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    @sarahfatima28 you're right she did. It's a nice break from reality.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    My uncle vinny =) ohhh and that movie directed by Steven Spielberg where anthony hopkins plays John Quincy Adams
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I LOOOOOOVEEEED Bridge of Spies too
  • jaredj229jaredj229 Alum Member
    110 karma
    Primal Fear, The Rainmaker, A Time to Kill, Devil's Advocate.....man so many good ones!!!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @Alejandro said:
    that movie directed by Steven Spielberg where anthony hopkins plays John Quincy Adams
    Amistad
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    Death Note....
    697 karma
    Star Wars...
  • abg0625abg0625 Alum Member
    28 karma
    The West Wing yo! Also A Few Good Men. Maybe I just like Aaron Sorkin.
    697 karma
    A civil action
  • Student...Student... Member
    298 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Just started binge-watching The Good Wife.

Me too!! Almost done!! Free with Amazon Prime:)
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited December 2015 5120 karma
    Good Wife, Scandal, House of Cards (but quit watching last season), never could get hooked on How to get away with murder:(
    Too bad y'all are to young to know Ally McBeal, the dancing baby was awesome:)
    Edited: Calling @"Nicole Hopkins" to find the video and post!!!
  • 2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
    edited December 2015 248 karma
    I, personally, sometimes second guess becoming a lawyer, even my own father who is a criminal lawyer, advised against it, initially. However, I recently watched the Netflix series Making a Murderer and it sheds a lot of light on injustices and inadequacies in our system. You get to see some really compelling criminal defense attorneys in actions, as well as a bunch of crooked lawyers, etc.. It was cool to see for sure and the verdict will probably make you think, what the fuck?! Anyway, it definitely showed a really cool side of being an attorney. Even if you don't want to become a trial lawyer, I think it has a lot of relevance.

*Also I'd highly suggest reading this if you were interested in the above* I've also seen a bunch of shit like this in real life. In Suffolk County, NY... (Long island, outside NYC) a correctional officer slammed a kid in a holding cell on his head and it cracked open on the metal stall inside. This was for mouthing off. There was some video recording and it said, "Holy shit, it sounded like his head cracked open like a coconut" The kid's brother or cousin, I forget, was in the cell with him. He begged the officer to call for help for hours but he didn't do so for like 2-3 hours later. The kid turned blue, threw up profusely for several hours, basically it was really obvious he was going to die if he didn't get help, and he did. The head DA covered it up, basically suggesting he didn't ask for help .. this that.. the cops and DA are very buddy buddy. Long story short, the cop walks. Crazy, right?! Just some motivation for any aspiring Civil Rights lawyers! PS. you can google this.
    320 karma
    @2RARE2CARE WHAT! This kind of stuff makes me go crazy with anger. This reminds me of the lecture on what makes people do evil. It was so interesting. How "normal" people end up doing the most unbelievable things. He talks about The Stanford Experiment and Abu ghuraib thing. Don't know if anyone has seen that lecture.

I will definitely watch making a murderer. Sounds interesting.

@everyone else Thank you. Will save these movies for a rainy day ☺️
    edited December 2015 320 karma

The lucifer effect: Philip zimbardo
    In case anyone was interested.
  • Cogito SumCogito Sum Alum Member
    26 karma
    Wow, there's a lot of great movies listed here. Michael Clayton definitely deserves mentioning. It tops my list of Clooney films. And I've seen a lot of 'em. Check it out!
  • time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
    edited December 2015 276 karma
    BETTER CALL SAUL, SUITS, and I just wanted to add House of Cards :)