Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The benefits of LG for your law lives

Noise DogoodNoise Dogood Alum Member
edited December 2020 in Logic Games 240 karma

To current law students / law school grads: how have the analytical lessons from Logic Games transferred over to your work?

I’m confident LG will help me as a law student (although right now how it will help me still belongs to this abstract mist of “it’s good for me, just keep your head down, and keep doing it!”), but I’m curious how exactly. If anyone who is now doing something law-related has been seeing the effects of their LG training (the spatial elements of LG, manipulating rules, etc) play out in their law-related lives, I’m curious to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I think at a high level, your ability to see how different rules interact and play out when used in conjunction with each other is something that you do a lot in law school. For instance the Federal Rules for Civil Procedure, or the rules surrounding Jurisdiction, can all have different impacts on a case. You need to be able to understand how they all mesh together in order to understand the procedural posture of a case.

But more specifically, the actually working of a logic game does not really come into play during law school at all. You won't really be "diagraming" or making "game boards" in the same way you do on a logic game.

Instead you'll be making large flow charts with questions/answers on how to analyze a legal problem. Eg.
    1.) Does the party have standing?
    If yes go on to step two, if
    no throw out the case.
    2.) is the case ripe? If yes go to step 3, if no throw the case out.
    3.) is the case moot? If yes throw it out, if no go to step 4...

Etc etc.