Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA Addendum help

Hey guys, I need help with my addendum. I know it should be short, but this is the most concise I was able to make it. There were two situations I wanted to address in my addendum that explains my gpa. I also wanted to explain the discrepancy in my actual gpa vs my lsac gpa. What do you guys think?

Addendum:
During my four years of college, I went through two experiences that negatively affected my academic performance. However, I was able to bounce back from these events and demonstrate my true academic ability in my final semesters.

During my first year at CUNY Queens College, I was running a small online business, and my main focus was to grow my business. At that time I had no plans to continue my education after college and due to that, I put in minimum effort into my academics. After that year, I started to discover my passion for activism and a career in law. Since then, I have taken my studies seriously, which reflects in my improvement after my first year.

In the spring semester of my junior year, I went through a mental low. It was the first time I had an issue with my mental health. I was considering taking that semester off because of my mental state, but I pushed through and did my best. Unfortunately, I received a 2.5 GPA and a D in a class. I asked my professor to give me an F instead, so I can retake the class and I earned a B. My school dropped the F from my GPA, but LSAC counted it in. This is the reason for the discrepancy between my college GPA, 3.25, and my LSAC GPA, 3.17. The spring semester of my junior year is not indicative of the dedication and ability I have towards academics. Later, I got the professional help I needed to overcome this obstacle in my life. Since then, I have demonstrated with my grades and strong work record that I have addressed these issues. I am excited to demonstrate this growth further in law school.

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

I don't know that I'd include the part about the business as written. As it reads right now, that first part basically says "school wasn't as important to me." Also it's not something you had to "bounce back" from. It was a chosen shift of focus.

For the mental health thing... that's a legit reason for an addendum, but the approach should be: This specific medical issue made my grades suffer, I addressed it in this way, and have shown improvement since. The lower grades do not accurately depict my academic potential. Succinct, candid, and no excuses. They don't need stuff like this:

Unfortunately, I received a 2.5 GPA and a D in a class. I asked my professor to give me an F instead, so I can retake the class and I earned a B.

And they already know stuff like this:

My school dropped the F from my GPA, but LSAC counted it in. This is the reason for the discrepancy between my college GPA, 3.25, and my LSAC GPA, 3.17.

• Felipe A.Felipe A. Member
    62 karma

Thank you @canihazJD for your feedback!