Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I get faster on LR?

Thy RainThy Rain Core Member

Hello everyone, I am struggling to get faster on the logical reasoning section. I usually get to question 16 and guess on the rest of them under timed conditions.

I usually miss like -2 on the 16 that I do answer, and maybe get like 1-2 from guessing C on the ones I don't get too.

I would really like to get to at least question 20. Any tips on how to improve speed for LR?

Comments

• ayesha1234ayesha1234 Core Member
    edited December 2020 40 karma

I used to be in the same boat as you, and after trial and error and talking to many LSAT experts, here’s what worked for me:

If you’re spending that much time on the first half of the section, chances are that you have conceptual issues. The best way to improve that is to take sections untimed, but track how long it takes you. Review each question you got wrong and try to resolve your conceptual issues as you press yourself to move from, say, 45 mins to complete a section, to 40, to 35. Once you’re down to 0-5 untimed, then move onto timed sections.

That’s because there are two different hurdles of the LSAT: concept and timing. You must conquer concept before you conquer timing-- that is to say, you will NOT be able to fix the timing issue unless you fix the concept issue.
    Make sure you get the concepts down fully. Do the sections untimed to learn them and ensure that you actually do, instead of just reading the answer and explanation and moving on. If you find a common thread in incorrect answers, or even if you have difficulty identifying why you got a question wrong, do the 7sage lesson/ read the passage in whatever book you have / etc. then come back and try to answer it yourself. You've got to be able to find the path to the solution without watching an explanation video or visiting a forum.

tl;dr: The prerequisite of finishing the test with decent accuracy & within the time allotted is a thorough grasp of the the concepts of LR.

• ___AZ______AZ___ Member
    87 karma

Thank you for sharing this! I am facing the same issue.

• H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    318 karma

Same! Thanks for sharing this, this is happening to me as well!